Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a pair of S&W frame rails and would like to Know what is the best way to weld them onto the stock body? Old rails are removed. Plug weld? any pictures would help.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Ill email you tonight

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Mac-

I'm curious to hear what you find out on this...How well do those rails line up with the stock floorpan?

Thanks-
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Which frame rail did you get? The universal one or the "direct fit" frame rails?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
** NOTE , you will not need to remove the factory rails until all the welding is done, they can be completey removed or just section were you add the tubs.

The only place of interferance is the trunk floor, when installing the new S&W frame rails inside of the factory rail position they would need to pass threw the bottom of the trunk floor.

The best way is to remove the entire recessed trunk floor , just cut around the top , when removed it will look like this.

(This is the part that can be purchased from many of the classic parts houses.)

It is easiest to do this first ( cut out the trunk floor) then weld in the new rails butted up against the old frame rails. ( at the front and against the rear panel at the back of the trunk) Next cut out a narrow section down the center of the removed trunk floor and weld it back together forming a new narrow " mini trunk floor". When reistalled you will have to weld in a flat peice on either side to compensate for the narrrowed trunk floor and it will look stock.

If you use ladder bars you will have to fabricate an upper shock mounts. If you use leaf springs I would suggest sliders in the rear to replace shackles. You may want to move the axle back an inch to give you more clearance athe front of the wheel well lip to help clear tall tires.

This is my 65 with leafs and sliders. With the rails welded just inboard of the factory rail 12" tires are no problem, It gives me about 16" between rails and the wheel well lip.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I've always wondered this as well, I guess it will basically be better to weld them solid. Or is it just overkill and plugging them like the factory sufficient? Which way did you go Mike? Thanks,

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I "stiched welded" the rails. Short section about 1" long every 6 inches.

I also reinforced the factory frame rail aera before I welded in the new rails, A small plate along the rail and a plate above it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Nova SS-

Thanks for the input, I know it'll come in handy when I'm ready to tackle this...soon!

I've been thinking I would do just as you say "butt the new rails against the old", and then remove. The only problem (maybe I'm just overthinking this) is the old rails have a lip that is actually spot welded to the floor. Kind of like this...

__ __
l l
l___l

How did you handle that?

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Ox65 said:
S&W makes them,I looked them up last week.
I was on their web site (I think) S&W Racing. And they had no listings in their frame rails section.:confused:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Gas Tank Question......

This has probably been asked many times, but does the stock gas tank still fit?

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I have CE rails and crossmember on my car. We modified the front a bit when we tied the subframe and they fit perfect. Weld a piece of plate to the rear body and weld the rail to the plate. I'm going to pick my car up next weekend and I'll post some pics. It came out really nice. I also put an S&W 8-point roll bar in. It fits really nice. Lines up just with the post. Can't see it from the side. And I have room to put in a headliner. Dave

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I am also wondering about if you butt the new rail to the old how do you remove the old if the new is sitting on top of the flange of the old one?

Also, will the gas tank be an issue?

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
If you move them in more than 2-3 inches a side, the fuel tank will be an issue. I put a cell in mine. Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts