Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to weld a bar to my manifolds, to prevent the use of a spreader tool to remove and install them?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if not preheated then cooled down properly you'll probably warp them more than they are now.

resurfacing might be needed after welding too...

is it that much of a pain to use the spreader? probably so, huh?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if not preheated then cooled down properly you'll probably warp them more than they are now.

resurfacing might be needed after welding too...

is it that much of a pain to use the spreader? probably so, huh?
Ya, it's a pain, because the exhaust usually gets undone 1 a month or so.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i'm more old school, this would be brazing... bolt it down to an old head core, preheat the manifold and weld it with the spreader installed, holding it wide & bolted securely... just let it cool real slowly. cover it up with a box to slow the cooling...

mig, tig i don't know about welding cast iron... maybe someone can do it for you/you yourself. i'm familiar somewhat with (maybe) an older school way of doing it...

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought to braze it, maybe I'll give that a go. :D

I do have an old set and a head to try other methods, preheating and slow cooling is what I found too.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
i may be wrong but i dont think cast can be welded....will crack beside the weld.....the only way i know how to is brass and to do it right the piece welded has to be red hot while brasing.i cant see a brass weld lasting on a manifold tho.to much hot and cold cycles.just my 2cents.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got off the phone with a buddy, he said to call my local welding supplier, and he can hook me up with the correct rods to stick weld them. Arc welding it the best way to weld cast, with a preheat and slow as possible cool done, ie buried in sand is good. I can't remember the last time I arc welded anything.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts