Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having my firewall and some floorpans sections replaced. I have the sheet metal, but where do I find the right welder? I've looked on Craigslist, but I'm concerned about finding someone who can do it right. Should I just go to a body shop? And what should I expect to pay for cut out and weld labor? The car is currently tore down to bare metal.

Thx!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Why not just spend the money and buy a decent welder and do it yourself.It is not hard, just practice welding on some scrap metal before you start on your car.I think you will find that before you are all done with the car you will be welding a lot more than you would ever imagine. The floors are a good place to start cause no one will ever see the weld, and you can pretty them up by doing some grinding on the welds when done.

Sorry but i cant say what it would cost to have someone else do it , but it can get very costly to have a body shop do it .
Good luck with what ever you decide and post up some pics of your car .:yes:

S

·
0 Posts
If you have a place to work, I'd try it yourself. When I bought my 67, it needed floors and quarter skins. Bought a Hobart 140, a box of cutoff wheels and started on the floors. Took me a week to do the floors, then on to the quarters, spent about four days a side on them. You can save a ton of money that way. Best of luck whatever you do.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:yes:You work for free, so you're labor rates are $0. Save the labor cost, and put the money into parts instead.
Research welders, or start another thread on buying a welder, and start looking on craigslist for a used wire welder.
And like others have said, practice, practice, and practice.
You just might surprise yourself, and in the end, you can pat yourself on the back for the job that you did.
Best of luck with however you get it done.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Agreed with all the above, us your dollars to buy a welder and do it your self!

If that isn't possible save your self some moony and cut the old out so it's ready to go when you get it to the welder.

Invest in some spot weld drill bits and take the old out...

but if at all possible do it yourself!

Mark

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
if you do go for a welder , check if your garage is wired for 220 or not 1st.a 110 might be the choice.rember youll need a gas welder.
if no garage then youll need extension cord to the house.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Same situation here!

I am going the route of trying myself this year. I researched welders and the job can be done with a 110V mig welder, but it will pay off to get a good one. You will need gas in order to weld at an angle. Best of luck with your project

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and try to do it myself. In the end, I rather have the pride in knowing I did it myself. I'm sure there will be a few mistakes and cuss words along the way, but more than worth it when it's complete. I'll definitely post some pics as the project moves along.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you were closer to Los Angeles you could bring it to my place. As per pricing the there are way too many factors to give a fair idea without eyes on it

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have been a welder for over 40 years. The skills I learned at an early age have served me well over the years saving me many $$$. Consider buying a MIG welder and you may learn it's not as hard as you may think. There are plenty here willing to help out, including me, GO FOR IT!
X 2 on this. i was just thinking a few days ago about all the stuff i've done over the years to cars ,mowers , dirt bikes ,4 wheelers etc. mostly my stuff but also stuff for other people . seems like the word gets around if you have a welder and the skills to operate it. i cant imagine my garage without a welder in it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was in the same boat as a lot of the guys here. Small welding projects would come up and I would have to take them to a fab shop or exhaust shop ($$$) or make a buddy steak dinner to bring his welder down. I finally got fed up and decided Nova project funds would be diverted towards a welder. After a few months a low miles Hobart 140 Handler on CraigsList for the right price. A few bottles and spools later I am proficient at MIG welding and find myself welding at least twice a week! Tons of little brackets or pinholes to fill i non the Nova. Projects for the wife or like JBON said, word seems to get around to your freinds :yes: (nothing wrong with friend Karma)! I would say in 5 months my little welder is pretty close to having paid itself off already!

I'd say give it a go and post pictures! I know the floors in my Nova will need to be done in the next few years...:mad:

Best of Luck!

S

·
0 Posts
That's a good start for a project! I've repaired many of the same areas on my 67. Hoping to get it in primer sealer in the next couple weeks. A good welder to get for this kind of work is a Hobart 140, bought mine factory refurbished. Can't tell it from new though. Looks like you've got a good place to work. Keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts