Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do some welding on my fornt clip. I have a friends lincoln 135T and am wondering if it will be up to the task of welding some 1/4" thick flat bar to 1/8" wall round tube. The chart inside the machine shows 1/4" steel; reccomends flux core wire and no gas.
Can we expect good welds or should I simply tack everything up and take it to someone with a "bigger" machine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
that is gonna be a tough one....i HIGHLY recommend getting some 1/4 flat and some bar stock, even if you have to go buy some and practice on it, not only to see if it welds good, but to get a nice looking weld as well, for something like that a weaving motion may work better with small wire on high heat....TRY ON SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE CAR FIRST!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 135HD. It works great on sheet metal and floor pans. I have welded up some seat brackets out of 1/4" flat stock and it did pretty good. What are you trying to make. If it will have a lot of stress or load, I'd recommend tacking it and taking it to a pro to have finnish welded. Its better to be safe

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welding

The simple answer to this would be no.

If you are ever in doubt, weld on a test piece and see if you can smash it apart with a hammer.

I know to effectively fuse two pieces of material together with no gap would require 1 amp for every .001" in material thickness. Therefore, two 1/8 thick pieces of material would require approx. 125 amps. Two 1/4 thick pieces of material approx. 250 amps.

So in theory you'd be somewhere in between these two figures.

These are only GUIDELINES, many things can influence these figures such as:
open circuit voltage, wire type, operator technique, weld prep, gas, gas flow, welding process, welding position, material type, material temperature, surrounding temperature, etc.

And it all depends on exactly what it is, if it's a piece of pipe to feed some wires through well then sure.

If it's going to hold your trans cooler, and the thought of driving over it bothers you after it breaks off :eek: , well then maybe get someone else with a larger welder to do it:) .

Talk to your local neighborhood fabricator, if he's like me he'll do it for :beer:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Is it something structural? Normally Id hafta go with the general concensus here, BUT.........if you are welding the end of the 1/4" directly to the side of the 1/8" round pipe, where you can hit both sides of it, itll work. In theory they claim you can weld up to 1/4" with it, but you wont be able to fully penetrate the 1/4". However, since you are welding it to 1/8", you wont necessarily need to fully penetrate the 1/4". If you were welding 1/4" to 1/4", itd be a different story. ;)

·
3,876 Posts
With proper joint preperation you wil be able to make that weld with that welder with no problem. Contrary to popular belief, the smaller welders will make good quality structural welds even on thicker material. Sometimes that weld will take multiple passes to completely fill the prepped joint.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I have a little Snap-on 110V that I have had for over 20 years and it will do it no problem. Just crank up the heat and use.030 wire and gas. Like said above put most of the heat on the bigger piece. And if you don't weld alot, get some scrap and practice.

Denis

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I think we'll try an experiment on some scrap and see what happens. A couple of you have suggested staying with solid wire and gas; why would Lincoln suggest flux core and no gas?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
If you are welding out side with a above normal breeze blowing, it will blow the gas away. With the flux core that won't happen. Also if you have a little cheapie welder that only works w/flux core, and can't accomidate gas,is the only reason can think of. Flux welds are a little more sloppy than normal. JMO.

·
3,876 Posts
Along with what DrDenny said, flux core wire will burn hotter and is recommended when you are using the higher amperage taps on your welder which equates to better penetration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts