Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a 1/4 panel on my 74 and i used the overlap method. i have a flanging tool and overlaped it about 3/8". It is all tacked on and i managed to do it without any warpage, so needless to say i am thrilled. this is by far the biggest project i have undertaken. My question is does it need to be 100% welded? i am tacking it every 6-ish inches and then going back to tack again and repeating so the metal does not get too hot. i would say that i have at least 80-90% welded. is that enough or does it have to be 100%? i am going to grind it all done, hit it with metal-to-metal and then skim with rage gold, unless anyone has a better suggestion. thanks for reading. :)
-jay

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Keep on welding

:yes:Kirk69nova is correct. Dont leave any open spots or you will get cracking in the filler. You have the right idea, keep your welds as short as possible to avoid heat build up and skip at least a few inches and continue the process until all the gaps are filled. It helps to wire wheel the welds when they start getting tight so the welds do not contaiminate each other. good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Best advice is to take your time. Do not try to hurry your welds. I have done many Qtr halves. In my sig. I show how I welded and explain how i installed the Qtr skin on. You will need to weld the entire seam or it will come back and show through all your hard work. Take you time welding and space your welds.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
listen to them they know ^^^^^^^^:yes: here's a link to pretty much the same thing pay close attention to when they start talking about metal 2 metal good luck and take your time

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am keeping a wet rag with me to constantly wipe in down after welding and grinding. so far so good. now i just got to figure out how to post pics.
-jay

·
Registered
43 Posts
i am keeping a wet rag with me to constantly wipe in down after welding and grinding. so far so good. now i just got to figure out how to post pics.
-jay
good idea but you can also use a blast of air from an air compressor too . i have done this alot when welding .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts