With a bottle
I want do sheet metal and what ever else i might need exhaust
Bla bla bla

Any input looking at summit
Lincon

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have the Hobart 140. I have yet to find something I could weld with it. I have had it 7 years and have changed the liner once.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had a Miller Cricket 110 volt unit that worked just fine for bodywork. I have since upgraded to a Miller 140 220 volt unit. The 110 volt feature was convienient, but if you're going to do much welding 220 is the better way to go.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Personally, I would reconsider the 110 VS 220 option. :yes:, I have a Lincoln 180 and it's a nice little unit.
^^:yes:^^
i have the millermatic 180 witch is compareable to lincon,either /or are good.
i figgure get a good welder once and it will weld anything and last forever.
whatever you do buy a quality machine.miller,lincon,hobart.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool thanks cuz there are some cheep ones out there
But sounds like you geet what you pay for thanks guys

·
Registered
654 Posts
Personally, I would reconsider the 110 VS 220 option. :yes:, I have a Lincoln 180 and it's a nice little unit.
^^X2

I originally had the Lincoln Weld pak 100 and it is fine for most general usage. The prob I had was the drive motor that spins the wire reel burned up in it. I found out later that the spool's set screw tends to tighten up over time and puts a strain on the TINY elec motor.

I have since upgraded to a 220v Lincoln 180c and it is ten times what the little weld pak was. It is about double the cost (About $800 bucks) than the 110 models but IMO it's well worth it. I get double the duty cycle, can weld alot thicker steel, being 220 vs 110 it use less amps, so the elec bill doesn't get ridiculous when I use it a ton and the spool's elec drive motor is three times the size as the one in the weld pak 100:D.

Overall I did like the smaller weld pak 100 it welded up just about anything I needed with no probs. It is a nice little machine and produces pretty welds. It would still be running today if I had known to loosen the set screw on the drive reel. But I do LOVE the power and heavy duty 180C I have now. Plus having the higher duty cycle is really nice when doing a ton of constant welding.

Hope some of this rambling helps:yes::D

Good Luck

·
3,885 Posts
I have the Hobart 180 (and just used it today). Great little machine and if I remember right I paid about $580 for it at Tractor Supply. If you need a 220 outlet there is always the dryer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha ya i already looked at the dryer and.thought sweet that will workcome.to find out.it is a gass dryer haha i would.love 220 with gas bottal
Witch is prob what ill do then figure out something else for power

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Haha ya i already looked at the dryer and.thought sweet that will workcome.to find out.it is a gass dryer haha i would.love 220 with gas bottal
Witch is prob what ill do then figure out something else for power
if your breaker box is close to your garage like mine( right on the outside wall of my garage) it takes about 15 minutes to run a 220 line .well ok a little more than 15 but notmuch.. go for the 220 its way better...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya i wish it was its clear on the other side of the house haha
It sux i was scratching.my head for.a while trying.to figure out why there was no 220

·
Registered
901 Posts
I love my miller 211. runs on 110 or 220. alittle heavy ( people find out you can weld you start taking places a.k.a friends). Do wish it was digital read out.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have had a weld pak 100 for about 16 yrs. It has welded every thing from sheet metal to 1/4 thick material. I have used it for all my panel repair so far.Could not be happier with the quality of this little welder. I have been seriously looking at a larger welder for awhile and I would strongly recommend the Lincoln 180 or the Miller 211. Both should be dual voltage and are great machines for the price. I found a large miller 210 at a local welding shop and bought it used for 800. I now can weld everything up to 1/2. I would check with your local welding shop and see what they might have used. You just might be surprised at what they may have. More bang for your buck.

I would stay away from cheapo Harbor Freight or other off brand welders.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Anyone have any advice for gas mix and wire size combos for doing floorpans and fender repair?

I use .024 in my 110. Didnt know if that would change when you go to 220.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Anyone have any advice for gas mix and wire size combos for doing floorpans and fender repair?

I use .024 in my 110. Didnt know if that would change when you go to 220.
75%-25% argon/co2. .024 is fine. Less likely to blow holes when butt welding. .030 will work too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts