Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I charged my battery and was able to start my car without problems. Turn the car off, re-starts fine. Do it a second/third time(random) and nothing! No clicking of the starter, nothing! Lights work. radio....etc.

Put the charger on it for a few minutes and works fine. I would assume the battery is shot BUT why would it start fine one minute and after running a bit not get ANYTHING(starter clicking)????

I got a stock '66, any suggestions as to a decent battery around $100? When I look online, the years dont go far enough back to get a part number.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Before replacing the battery check the voltage at the starter at the times it will and won't start. If the starter or solenoid are going bad the difference of a volt or 2 may cause the problem. If you are going to buy a new battery just get an OPTIMA, you will be happy you did especially 5-6 years from now when it is still working. I have had one running the winch on my trailer and jump starting cars since August of 99 and it is still performing great.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Take the battery out and drive to an Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. They will load test your battery for you.

Jim Smith

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bought a new battery(needed one anyway) after running a little bit it does not start, not even a click!!!

Check the voltage at the 3 lugs on the starter(from lugs to ground),

Center one(from Battery): 12.7V
Closest to motor when trying to start: 7.3V
Farthest from motor when trying to start: 5.6V
Between 2 smaller lugs: 1.7V

I jumper the "S" terminal to the battery and it engages the starter so I am thinking not the starter. What should I be seeing at the starter with the key engaged? Does the voltage regulator have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might have found it!!! Neutral Safety switch looks like its acting flakey. Bypass it and it fired right up, multiple times:clap:

Maybe I wont push the car out in the street with a "Free for the haulin'" sign on it.

Just frustrating:mad:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
when it doesn't start and you jump the starter and it starts right? in effect your taking out the circuit from the ign key to the starter. so you could have a bad ign switch, neutral safety switch(if its hooked up) or the wire from the key to the starter is bad meaning too much resistance. It may be old and brittle with some breaks in the wire. My 64 would do the same thing till I rewired the key switch circuit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fought the same problem.

I had the exact problem and could not figure it out. Finally determined that the wire from the key to the starter was old and would experience voltage drop during use. Test it would look fine but under load from the solenoid. Rewired from the switch (violet wire on a 65) to the starter and all is fine. Go through the neutral switch if desired.

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I might have found it!!! Neutral Safety switch looks like its acting flakey. Bypass it and it fired right up, multiple times:clap:

Maybe I wont push the car out in the street with a "Free for the haulin'" sign on it.

Just frustrating:mad:
The contacts wear over time. Just think of how many times the gear shift lever is moved in a day and multiply that by the days in 43 years. Simple to change but it needs to be adjusted so the contacts are closed in park and nuetral. Easist way is to put the car in nuetral, connect an ohm meter across the contacts and position the switch so the ohm meter reads zero. Tighten the mount screws and then check that the back up light contacts close when in reverse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts