Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me start by saying this is my first paint job. I have primed and blocked whole car little by little over the last few months. I am on my last piece, the trunk lid. I am using summits paint since im on a budget and its right down the street. I have done every thing the same and now the trunk lid looks like the pic below after blocking the guide coat off. The only thing that is different is I had to use the low voc 2k primer because the stop carrying their reg 2k. any input would be great. the pic isnt that great but you can see what im talking about.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its primer. i was thinking high but haven ran into high spots looking like that yet. they were all burn thrus. thanks. everything so far has been primed blocked primed and blocked again. this is my last piece before I jamb the car then assemble for paint. its been a long time coming for this old nova. Bought her 10 years ago then had no money, then got married and then last year welcomed our first son.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i'm not 100% sure on third genners but some decklids have somewhat of a crown in the center... make sure this isn't what you're dealing with.

some curves, dips, crown(high spots) can be taken care of with a high build/surfacer primer, careful sanding will flatten the panel without burning through...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think as long as it has a good bound shoot some more primer over it and keep blocking once you start seeing the primer on the left and right get thin, leave it and shoot another coat and block again, should fill fast. My opinion is only use a 2K primer with a harder, if you don't have the money, save it because down the road it could turn loose and there goes your paint job.

Also to my knowledge some primers can spray over each other and others can't, I would read a data sheet and make sure there comparable. Hopefully I helped some what and don't know what kind of block your using, but flexable blocks are awesome for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i shot everything with 2k and the deck lid with 2k low voc both with hardeners. paint guy said they would be fine together. using a wide aray of dura blocks. the wife may be mad when i sneak out to the garage when our son goes to bed.:D

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
its primer. i was thinking high but haven ran into high spots looking like that yet. they were all burn thrus. thanks. everything so far has been primed blocked primed and blocked again. this is my last piece before I jamb the car then assemble for paint. its been a long time coming for this old nova. Bought her 10 years ago then had no money, then got married and then last year welcomed our first son.

I noticed this paint job has been a long time in the making. Should turn out super nice. The longer primer sets the better.

What color did you finally decide on?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it has. Lol. I am going with huggin orange it's just a bit brighter than hugger orange. I am painting the hood and I think the cowl panel black. I'll be picking up the paint in a week or so. I'll get updates when I lay color.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts