Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase a set of reproduction rallye Wheels a few years back from a well known vendor. Within two years the powder coat started lifting and rust soon followed. (No warranty of the finish.) Today I decided it was time to take care of this problem. A couple of local bodyshops were wanting $150.00 each to strip and repaint these. (That's twice what I paid for the wheels.) It is also a little out of my budget right now so I opted for plan B.

The car was put on stands and the tires were taken off the wheels. Now comes the weird parts. We stacked the wheels in a large plastic container and chained them together. Next scrap metal was suspended from the inner walls. Then we added 310 gallons of water and 31 cups of Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent. As I am typing this, a battery charger is wired to this tank. In twenty-four hours, the wheels will be bare metal with no rust.

Here is how it works...
http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

I used this method a lot during the restoration and saved a lot of parts and a lot of labor. It worked great on small parts. This is my first attempt at anything this big. It is also the first time I used it to remove powder coat. Paint usually lifts right off. I see no reason that powder coat should not do the same. (After all, it is electrolysis.)

I have already purchased VHT's Zinc Chromate Primer & GM Rallye Wheel Paint. (I did say I was on tight budget.) Hoping for good results. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Please keep us updated with new photos. If you are satisfied with the results, I'm sure many of us have parts that we would try this method on. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Use clearcoat designed for wheels or it will flash rust. Water and brake dust eat at the paint if they aren't protected.

Kev (Learned the hard way)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whew. That powdercoat is tuff stuff. I checked the wheels today. The small amount of rust didn't put up much of a fight. Usually, the paint on parts will start lifting in sheets after 24 hours in one of these tanks. Today, the powdercoat was still holding firm.
A buddy came by and suggested sanding the remaining powder coat and painting over it. (Feathering in any irregularities.) I decided to give it another 24 hours. Not because I am that patient. I just don't want to have to do the job twice. (And I want it to look good.)) I would like to have these finished by the weekend if possible and I really want to give the paint some cure time before re-mounting the tires. Got some tentative plans for the 5th and driving this car would be a must. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to remove about 90% of the powdercoat by electrolysis. I had to resort to a heat gun and putty knife for the rest. Large parts in large tanks need more voltage. This method seen to work much better for smaller parts. I did get the paint and tires back on the wheels in time to make one day of Power Tour.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Paint Question

How do you get the paint in between the wheel center and the rim of the rally where it isn't fully welded. I stripped mine by a similar process and that is the first place they started to rust, Im guessing I had some bare metal in the seams from dipping them and stripping the paint off completely.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WILMASBOYL78 said:
How do you dispose of that brine when the job is done???

wilma
Didn't you notice that your grass was a little greener and a little cleaner?:D
(It's just soapy water. I watered the lawn with it.)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JOELDARBY said:
How do you get the paint in between the wheel center and the rim of the rally where it isn't fully welded. I stripped mine by a similar process and that is the first place they started to rust, Im guessing I had some bare metal in the seams from dipping them and stripping the paint off completely.
When all was said and done, the tank removed about 90% of the powder coat and rust. This method is fanastic for small parts but I don't think my battery charger had enough amps for the big stuff. I used a heat gun and scraper for the remaining powder coat. From there, the front wheels only needed sanding (you only have to sand where you want the paint to stick;) ) and acid wash. The rear needed a little time with the sandblaster to get them up to a point I was comfortable with. The muratic acid was the real ticket. It made them look like new. I am putting a lot of faith in the zinc chromate primer for protection. We used it on anything that went to bare metal when we were building the car. A buddy raves on it's ability to protect and preserve metal.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
yep like said before aircraft stripper works on power coat. just takes longer and you cant water your lawn with it.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
wonder if I could use one of those kids plastic swimming pools and a bigger power source for the bigger stuff?
I don't see why not, people have made them to do complete frames.:yes:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Use oven cleaner to remove the powder coating

I understand the spray on overn cleaner will remove the powder coating:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts