aluminum radiator saved around 8 lbs
front disc setup increased around 18 lbs
2" front drop spindles increased front weight distribution
removed a/c condensor, evaporator, compressor and heater core
aluminum intake

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that f/r weight ratio pretty darn good and close to 50/50? i thought novas were like 60/40 stock...

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
burningsquirrels said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that f/r weight ratio pretty darn good and close to 50/50? i thought novas were like 60/40 stock...
Yeah, I was pretty surprised by that too. I guess it's because the battery is in the trunk.

What does a Optima Red Top weigh? I'll do a quick calculation and see what that would've done to the ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Optima Red Top weighs 40 lbs according to this

Adding a couple pounds for cables and the battery box then if the battery was in the front it would be :

Front 53.6%
Rear 46.4%

It's a 383 with iron vortecs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
is everything else stock equipment for the car? ie. steel hood, bumpers, retains inner fenders and interior? power steering? steel wheels? just wondering what to expect when i weigh my 72.

thanks
Ian

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty much everything except what I previously mentioned is stock.

has inner fenders
has new repop bumpers
all steel body panels including steel 2" cowl hood
has power steering
has front bench seat (for now)
rear seat still installed
has a spare in the trunk (but no jack)
no radio or speakers
has headers (I think they are lighter than exhaust manifolds)
I'm not sure what the wheels are made of but they are Cragar Street Stars
185/60/15's up front 245/6015's in rear
subframe connectors add a few ounds

That pretty much covers everything

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
72Orange said:
burningsquirrels said:
Yeah, I was pretty surprised by that too. I guess it's because the battery is in the trunk.

What does a Optima Red Top weigh? I'll do a quick calculation and see what that would've done to the ratio.
I've read many times that moving your battery to the trunk has the same effect of weight distrubition as moving your motor back several inches (I've actually read a few that said "up to ten inches back")...these results would sorta support what those magazine articles stated...:)

Very cool...:cool:

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
69NovaSS said:
I've read many times that moving your battery to the trunk has the same effect of weight distrubition as moving your motor back several inches (I've actually read a few that said "up to ten inches back")...these results would sorta support what those magazine articles stated...:)

Very cool...:cool:
I've read (hey, must be true right?!?!) that when placing the battery as far back as possible in the trunk (behind passenger side tire), it has the same effect as adding TWO batteries right over the tire due to the lever effect.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
72Orange said:
Optima Red Top weighs 40 lbs according to this

Adding a couple pounds for cables and the battery box then if the battery was in the front it would be :

Front 53.6%
Rear 46.4%

It's a 383 with iron vortecs.
thats not quite right....your missing the effect that leverage would have on the overal weight balance....Normally the battery is right near the very front of the car....when you move it to the trunk you have moved that weight at least 12-13 feet from its original location...that will make a big difference...

Just look at it this way...pick up your battery and hold it... that took 40 lbs worth of force...now pick it up and hold it straight out at arms length in front of your body...that takes more than 40 lbs worth of force to do that....NOW try picking that battery up on the end of a 12 foot pole....:eek: ....I gurantee it will take WAY more than 40-50lbs worth of force to pick that thing up....that is roughly the effect it has on your car when you move it to the trunk....

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
69NovaSS said:
thats not quite right....your missing the effect that leverage would have on the overal weight balance....Normally the battery is right near the very front of the car....when you move it to the truck you have moved that weight at least 12-13 feet from its original location...that will make a big difference...

Just look at it this way...pick up your battery and hold it... that took 40 lbs worth of force...now pick it up and hold it straight out at arms length in front of your body...that takes more than 40 lbs worth of force to do that....NOW try picking that battery up on the end of a 12 foot pole....:eek: ....I gurantee it will take WAY more than 40-50lbs worth of force to pick that thing up....that is roughly the effect it has on your car when you move it to the trunk....
I hear an echo in here :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
69NovaSS said:
thats not quite right....your missing the effect that leverage would have on the overal weight balance....Normally the battery is right near the very front of the car....when you move it to the trunk you have moved that weight at least 12-13 feet from its original location...that will make a big difference...

I hear an echo in here :D
I hear an echo in here
I hear an echo in here
I hear an echo in here
I hear an echo in here
I hear an echo in here
I hear an echo in here:rolleyes: :D :)

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
not quite a 12 foot pole since the center of gravity is somewhere in the middle, but we got the gist of it.

i wonder what my nova weighs. on the old rod knockin' motor i hit the brakes way before i crossed the line and i ran a 14.4 at 100mph at 3000 altitude at LACR.

my car has very little in it, no fenderwells, no power brakes, no power steering (chopped the pump off), aluminum intake, missing lots of upholstery, and cross-drilled floorpans (oops, was that rust?) :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
burningsquirrels said:
not quite a 12 foot pole since the center of gravity is somewhere in the middle, but we got the gist of it.
Absolutely....that is why I said "roughly the effect":)

burningsquirrels said:
my car has very little in it, no fenderwells, no power brakes, no power steering (chopped the pump off), aluminum intake, missing lots of upholstery, and cross-drilled floorpans (oops, was that rust?) :D

Ae you still using the power steering box only without a pump????? Isnt that stiff as heck?

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
i had only parallel parking for a year when i bought the car. i got used to it. in fact, with the number of times i had my motor out of the car, i never bothered installing a manual steering gearbox i had lying around.

what had happened was the owner upgraded from a 6 to an 8, but never got the power steering bracket for a v8. my dumb butt gave a perfectly good pump away to another buddy with a '72 nova. he needed it though coz his was acting up and he has a bad elbow.

i remember the following morning after i bought the nova, my buddy tom had to jump out and help me turn the wheels by grabbing the tire and turning while i parallel parked rofl.

i also remember when tom was shopping for watches. he complained that they were all too big for his wrist. so, i told him to remove the power steering belt off his 71 riviera and he should be good to go in a few weeks :eek: :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
burningsquirrels said:
i also remember when tom was shopping for watches. he complained that they were all too big for his wrist. so, i told him to remove the power steering belt off his 71 riviera and he should be good to go in a few weeks :eek: :D

DriveWFO said:
That's what I used to have until I installed this manual box. Man, what a world of difference that made. I can turn the wheel with two fingers now! :cool:

Crap..:eek: .you guys are REAL men...talk about Popeye forearms...lol:D

and here I thought you got them by doing something else:rolleyes: ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts