Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience using these two manifolds? I am looking to pick one up and am wondering if the additional $25 for the Weiand is worth it. I don't really need anything fancy but I will pay a little more if there is a noticeable power difference. These are for Vortec heads.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Well seeing how most have no clue to what a Weiand 8121 is.

And Summit has a lot of intakes.

Also what is the aplication? Driving habit? Setup?
Purpose.

How would you like your answer?:rolleyes::eek::devil:

AL

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both dual plane vortec intakes. Basically just wondering if there is a significant quality difference in between the 2. By looking at the pictures, I would not be surprised if Weiand actually manufactured Summit brand intakes. Anyways...it will go on a mild 327 with vortec heads.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Back in the 80's I ran a 327 in a '78 Monte Carlo with a Weiand. I don't remember the number though. I had a Holley 650, and it ran great. No issues.

I have a Weiand on my 283 with an Eddie Street Performer, so I am hoping I get the same results. I have no idea as the engine is still waiting to be put in.

I don't know if that helps you or not.

DW

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Here is my $.02....I know you're asking about dual plane intakes but read on.

I usually support Summit branded products as most of what I have received has been good quality. But last year in their showroom I seen some Summit manifolds stacked in the isles that I wouldn't use if it was free. Poor castings and just as bad machine work. I have not seen any since that time and the quality may or may not have improved or the vendor could have changed. They were chinese parts, hard to say from where. I have a Chinese cast Hurricane intake and a Edelbrock super vic and there is minimal difference on the quality. I have seen the pictures of Hurricanes with huge inclusions in the castings too. That said not all Summit parts are from China. Several of my parts are domestic and their intakes could be of very good quality now.....or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
weiand 8121 vs summit intake

My buddy and I put one of the weiand intakes on his 350 and the only problem we ran into was the flat spots on the sides where the valve cover rests on we had to cut the shiny new chrome valve covers around those so it would seat right. didnt have that problem with aluminum covers but if you have steels on there they might need some convincing. Other than that the weiand is pretty cool, looks good and different from most ppls because they usually go with the edlebrock intakes and whatnot.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The switch to cheap Chinese castings is going to be the downfall of the American speed industry. From oil pumps to intakes, we see the consequences of poor quality on these forum pages. What we don't hear about is the stealing of intellectual property rights. If Edelbrock or Weiand spends time money and effort developing a manifold design and the Chinese copy that idea, it's stealing. It robs American companies of their livelihood.
I'd rather buy a used Edelbrock than a brand new Chinese copy of an Edelbrock manifold.

I say if people would quit buying low cost junk and support the American speed industry, we'd all be better off. I'll pay $25 more to support intellectual property rights and American jobs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Paul...I agree with you 100%, but is there any actual proof that Weiand and/or Summit actually cast their cores in the U.S. still? That's an honest question and not a jab btw.

I'll say this much, I have a Weiand 8150 and while the casting is nothing spectacular, the machining is quite good and I'd say all of it is better than my old Eddy Performer which was undoubtedly cast here since it's over 20 years old. I don't know where it was cast.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Paul...I agree with you 100%, but is there any actual proof that Weiand and/or Summit actually cast their cores in the U.S. still? That's an honest question and not a jab btw.

I'll say this much, I have a Weiand 8150 and while the casting is nothing spectacular, the machining is quite good and I'd say all of it is better than my old Eddy Performer which was undoubtedly cast here since it's over 20 years old. I don't know where it was cast.
Edelbrock is 100% made in USA.

Edelbrock Today
Edelbrock Corporation has six locations: four in Torrance and two in San Jacinto, California, totaling over 600,000 square feet. Headquarters include: R&D; manufacturing; tech support and more. Less than a mile away the Exhaust and Suspension Division design and manufacture high quality components using custom built equipment and state-of-the-art testing facilities.

Our Aluminum Foundry and Motorcycle Division, where we manufacture carburetors for motorcycles, is located in San Jacinto. Our sand-cast foundry has been called “the most state-of-the-art foundry west of the Mississippi.” In 2007 we will be adding a new Permanent Mold and Heat Treat facility next to our existing sand cast foundry, an over 8 million dollar commitment to “Made in USA” products and performance.
I'm not against free trade but stealing intellectual property designs. Copying CD's, DVD's, manifolds without paying the person who created the design is wrong. It's all stealing something from someone else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts