Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weeel, nothing to harp about this time out.
Weather was great again, with maybe calm to a 4-5 mph headwind.
First pass, shifted at 6,000 and 5,800 - she didn't like that, was breaking down a bit. Thought maybe it was from luggin it the 35 miles over to the track.

ran a 12.100 @ 112.55 on a 1.666 60 foot time, hooked OK though

Second time trial I ran against my buddy in his '71 Nova. We have each made iimprovements since last year and each are running .6 to .7 quicker than last year. I shifted at 5,500 and ran a 11.870 @ 114.53mph on a 1.631 60 foot time. This was closer to last outing at different track, but still off by about .5mph or so.

Third time trial was going to determine whether I would run eliminations in Bracket 2 or Bracket 3. Bracket 3 was good down to 12.00 dial in. If it ran another 11.87 or better, I figured i'd go ahead and pay the extra $10 and jump to bracket 2. This pass I moved the shift back up to 6,000 rpm. It didn't really break down like on the first pass, but didn't really seem to like it so much. It ran an 11.999 @ 113.98 on a 1.657 60' time.

My decision was to stick in bracket 3 and dial a 12.00.

Final pass was first round of eliminations. Dialed at 12.00 and short-shifted @ 5,000 rpm to avoid running out. Ran a 12.066 @ 112.92 all out. As usual got killed on the light. Clearly still more work to do on both the car and on me.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Dan, I can relate to getting killed on the tree. My last time out I was way late, was closing fast and made the guy run right on his dial in. If I had done just a bit better on tree I'm sure he would have broke out :eek:. Even though you lsot first round, sounds like you had a good day.:yes: Your 60 fts are more consistent, what are you doing different?

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm staging consistently at the point of just lighting the second bulb. This track was prepped better and I've no trouble hookinig at this track. They were running quick 16 too. I just need to get my leave position on the tree established.

I've also been reminded that sometimes on my burnout, only one tire is spinning. I think my posi unit might be shot. I guess its only money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts