Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saturday I stop in for a cool one at the local. As I get out of the Nova 2 older guys wearing NHRA shirts come out, come over to the car. Doug, has a a 9 second Nova, went over my car front to back top to bottom. Asked who built motor, told him Kershaw, he said yep, quality builder, what were dyno specs. Told him. Just nodded. Said fire it up. Slight eyebrow raise, "healthy yep sounds like a Kershaw build". "Screams I bet?" Yes it does :D
Asked if I have taken it to take to Mission. Not with this motor, but would like slicks to really see what it can do. Doug says he gave his buddy 2 chevy wheels with slicks on, 2 slicks not mounted, His buddy not into the race scene anymore. Says give me your number, I will call him tell him to give them to you for a case of beer or cheap. They are on ugly GM rims, 29 -15-9 mounted on ugly 8" GM rims, 4.5 or 5 inch backspace. maybe 5 - 6 runs left on them. The 26-15-8.5 have a good 25 runs left on them.

We chat I am thinking great guys, slicks would be cool for cheap for a few test runs.

Get a call this morning from a Dean in Poco, says hey Doug gave me your number about the slicks, there yours for a 24 pack of Miller. :eek:

Checked them out and yep, as described. $41.05 later I got a trunk and back seat load of fun.

Dean inflated the 29"s with 18 psi as we wanted to see how fat they were to fit. They will squeek in :)

I have a few things to do prior to a track day. Drive shaft loop, and beef up that front end, as I think the Steelrat will be lifting the front end a wee bit more on slicks.

Most of you know my build
500hp/ 500TQ 408
Built 700R4 - tight 9.5 2800 stall converter
Slide a links
and....now slicks.:)

Any predictions on 1/4 mile times?

While out and about in Poco I headed up to Coquitlam to Woody's Pub, who was having a show. Looked around for a little while, a few pics. I met a guy I think is a member, but forgot his name. this car:

a cool Canso and a slick Chevelle. I love most cars that are slate or shadow grey.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
Cool story, good luck with those slicks !!! Thanks for the pics !!!!!:yes:

·
Registered
807 Posts
tires

Having had a fast car in the past slicks are the only way to get hooked up.On the street I would get about 25-30 runs on a set of soft Goodyears untill they started to fade. The drag radials are not very good, and they are costly.When are we going the track to see how fast we all are?. I will bring my car ( best of [email protected] mph)and a few others as well.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
good score shaun!
i predict that your car will run an 11.39 in the 1/4.
just a wild-*** guess,but let see what it'll do.
besides..........it will still be .00000001 slower than my wagon build when she's done:devil::rolleyes::D!!
leftcoast carl.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Yeah Shaun, at least let us know when you plan to take the Steelrat to Mission, I would pay to see that new build hook up !:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good score shaun!
i predict that your car will run an 11.39 in the 1/4.
just a wild-*** guess,but let see what it'll do.
besides..........it will still be .00000001 slower than my wagon build when she's done:devil::rolleyes::D!!
leftcoast carl.
Appreciate the optimism on the time, but....
Carl..carl..carl, I already have 68SSGrandpa nervously checking his rear and side view mirror, as the Steelrat eats up road between us at a voracious rate.

Shall I order a larger crying towel for the you two? :D hee hee

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Shaun, at least let us know when you plan to take the Steelrat to Mission, I would pay to see that new build hook up !:eek:
will let you all know...hey who has a free or cheap tow truck if I break :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I predict a cool 13.25. Yup the 70s were a little anchorish:devil::yes:
Muuuuuuaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaa!!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Nice score on the slicks BTW:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
will let you all know...hey who has a free or cheap tow truck if I break :rolleyes:
don't worry...i gotcha "hooked" up......
if it breaks,we'll get you home.i know several candidates that will treat you fairly.
leftcoast carl.
P.S.- i won't need your stinking crying towel.....:no::D:D:devil:
LCC.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I predict a cool 13.25. Yup the 70s were a little anchorish:devil::yes:
Muuuuuuaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaa!!!!!:D
I think you are close on that time Todd, now the questions is that the time I will pull towing a 1st or a 2nd gen down the track :D

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Alright ima gonna say 12.31 cause thats the 1st time that came into my head. When are you heading down? I'd like to try to make it down.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will most likely be going to one of the August Mopac Friday nights. Will let you know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts