Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm looking(without any luck so far) for a set of speakers to put in the rear window on the package tray. You know the kind that was popular in the mid 60"s to late 70's.

Does any company still make these wedge shaped(speaker box) type speakers anymore? I have looked on ebay already. hpg

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Custom Jim came to my mind immediately when I read your post. He's into automotive electronics and could probably help you. I'm sure he'll post a reply soon. :D

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
Those are called surface mount speakers. I have had a number of these in my car set-ups. Not as popular as they were a while ago, they are still available at misc. locations just search surface mount speakers and you will find them. I have owned JVC and Pioneer in this style and found that larger/more drivers is always better. I have them mounted under the dash basically pointing at my shins. Powered correctly, they help fantastically with stereo separation and volume. In my current convertable I can get it so loud, along with the rest of the system, you can't hear the wind w/topdown on the highway. Best of luck Henry. T:)

·
6,502 Posts
I'll have to look this week and see but I "think" I have a set of Pioneer wedge style speakers at the shop (I ordered them for a customer a long time back and he decided on something different). From what I remember those speakers were not that big and also did not have much as far as speaker size due to their small size (would have limited bass and midrange output).

Is there a reason you want wedge type speakers for the rear deck ?. Most rear decks can be made to accept a much larger speaker and it can be made to look a lot nicer.

Jim

·
6,502 Posts
I do have a set of the Pioneer TS-X200's here at work. They have a 4" woofer, a 2.25" midrange, and a 3/4" horn tweeter. The dimensions are 13.4" wide, 4.9" tall, and 6.9" deep. We have $68.00 into them. For $68.00 you can get some decent 6x9 speakers with grills and have a lot better performance out of them AND a cleaner installation/look.

Jim

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'm just curious, but what do these speakers look like? I've never even heard of them. :confused:

Matt

·
6,502 Posts
SuperNova69 said:
I'm just curious, but what do these speakers look like? I've never even heard of them. :confused:

Matt
The ones I have at the shop were up high and hard to get at on a shelf and I got the info off the internet. I did a google search for "Pioneer TS-X200" and followed some links that had pictures and info.
These are more rounded than some true wedge type speakers I remember from the 70's and early 80's I had. Those were more like a shoe box cut in half on a diagonal.
Jim

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

Interesting. It does look kind of cool. Still, they're pretty weak for a $90-ish pricetag.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
old school speakers...

You guys are like a time machine that keeps taking me back.....and back.....the speakers in the "day" were either Pioneer or Craig. We had Bowman(sp??) quadraphonic 8-track tape players..hot from a truck out of the Bronx.(for you non-easterners, the Bronx is a suburb of NYC..it's where the Yankees play;)) we always put some kind of cheesey carpeting on the package tray and then had those speakers..they sounded like sh*t! Oh well, so much for the Nova time tunnel...all packed for GM and the road trip.

wilma:sleep:

·
Registered
256 Posts
time warp

i remember having a set of alpines in mine in 76 and the whole alpine system
lol
take me back to the super friends days sat morning

1 - 13 of 13 Posts