• Metro

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read previous posts on this, the overall consensus is Steele for the windshield, but then it gets murky, some say soff seal some say soff seal sucks.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
We use Steele. Precision for the glass weatherstrips. Have also used the newer OER branded seals on a car or two with no issues so far, but the sample set is small. Soff Seal can have fitment issues in areas.

If you can find it, T&N is another option. I do not think they are producing Nova weathstrips any longer, but it does pop-up on eBay from time-to-time. High quality USA made. They were the go-to source for Tri-Five and I think Corvette years ago.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My experience:

Metro is soft, as advertised, and once molded does not spring back to shape in high pressure spots. Soff Seal was more spongy and would spring back to its original contours--sturdier formula for their foam, maybe.

Where this bit me is (with a Metro roof rail weatherstrip) is a poorly aligned top of vent window that will now not come back once the alignment is fixed. Will now have to get a new piece to fit. The door hinges were a bit sloppy, too.

Fitment, though? Metro door weatherstrip fit great. Had it for almost 10 years, though, waiting to be used. Basically, if all your wear parts are in good working order, the Metro should be fine.

The issues we had with the Precision gasket for the windshield were 1) the L-shaped channel cut in the rubber the stainless trim "snaps" into was not continued far enough at the edges and 2) that L-shaped channel, once spread open, had rubber flashing in multiple spots preventing the stainless trim properly seating in the channel. 3) Unlike the original, the gasket did not reach all the way to the corners, from pillar to pillar--needed only 1/4"or so longer, leaving a gap right in the corner. Oh, and the driver's side pillar edge, roof down to cowl, curled and would not lay flat. I do know the result looks lousy, but it's staying put. Just my experience. Would love to see the two (Precision and Steele) measured out. Sorry to beat a dead horse!

-Rusty

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the 2 responses, would have thought there would be more input.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I appreciate the 2 responses, would have thought there would be more input.
Metro for the doors are perfect. The only windshield gaskets I use are original GM. They are out there, its worth the time and effort to find them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts