Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple questions. I was looking through one of the books (maybe the factory assembly manual) for my '72 last night as I was preparing to attach the weatherstripping and I noticed they only glued the upper half of the door weatherstrip and a couple of 9" sections elsewhere on the door. I had been planning to glue all the way around, including between the nylon push-in pieces. Will this cause any issues?

Second, the rubber bumpers. It was pretty obvious where the side hood bumpers went - in the slots on the fenders, but I can't find any instruction on where the door, trunk and front hood bumpers should attach. Anyone know which book might detail this? I found a couple small holes at the bottom of the door, but two different bumpers can physically attach there (brilliant...), but I don't even see any holes in the trunk, so I figure they probably got filled in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You can put as much adhesive as you want on the door and trunk weather strips, I think the factory only installed it around the window channel section on the doors and perhaps only at the seam on the trunk.

The little bumpers for the doors and hood are called out on a little diagram that comes with the bumper kit - I think. the round ones with a nipple go in the trunk lid, the round ones with a recess go over the hood adjustment screws on the core support, the hood side bumpers are easy, and the doors have pairs of holes for their bumpers....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I got all the bumpers worked out now except the doors. The kit came with bumpers for 4 doors, but I guess the front and rear require different size bumpers for some reason. I have a 2 door and either will fit so I'm not sure which to use. See attached.

Adhesive for the trunk goes all the way around. I was going to do the same with the doors, but at the last minute decided to do what the factory did. I can see how additional adhesive could've made lining up and inserting the nylon pegs a challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
I got all the bumpers worked out now except the doors. The kit came with bumpers for 4 doors, but I guess the front and rear require different size bumpers for some reason. I have a 2 door and either will fit so I'm not sure which to use. See attached.
Each door should have 2 bumpers (one upper and one lower), so all 4 are needed for your 2-door. Custom Jim posted a photo in this thread that shows the positioning of the door bumpers --> https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655329

·
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hmmm. Either they didn't use glue in '74, or something changed from '72. My door weather strips either weren't glued, or the glue was totally deteriorated to the point of being useless. I pulled out my old strips and didn't see any evidence of residue.

The new ones tucked in so tight that I didn't see any reason to use glue.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hmmm. Either they didn't use glue in '74, or something changed from '72. My door weather strips either weren't glued, or the glue was totally deteriorated to the point of being useless. I pulled out my old strips and didn't see any evidence of residue.

The new ones tucked in so tight that I didn't see any reason to use glue.
We didn't use any on the doors of our '69 either, no issues thus far.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are pure awesome. Thanks Ray and Jim. I might get this car together yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts