Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use anything on their gaskets when installing a new water pump on a 194 6 cyl? Or just dry install?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
good question ---- I do put a "thin coat" of 'RTV silicone on the water-pump side , then just stick (the gasket on) , install w/pump.

Even a thin coat on each side ( w/pump side & engine side) would not hurt anything either. What type "Fan Blade you run on your 194 - 6" ?

ps. -- I use either Blue or Red RTV silicone , have fun …. :D

later, jim

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I use the blue felpro gaskets installed plain and dry. Surface prep is the key.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use perma-gasket #1 on every mating surface, whether it be oil or water, been using this method since 1965.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gasket installation info

Hi put it on dry or glue it to the pump with contact cement. I know everybody has an opinion. Do Not Use Silicone! If you do and it deteriorates it breaks loose and clogs the coolant system. The only time I had to use it with the gasket is if there is a defect in the metal warp etc... Even then it was just a thin film with my finger. A bead will squeeze out and the extra can break off and clog the system. Changed many a radiator in my day for that reason.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
good question ---- I do put a "thin coat" of 'RTV silicone on the water-pump side , then just stick (the gasket on) , install w/pump.

Even a thin coat on each side ( w/pump side & engine side) would not hurt anything either. What type "Fan Blade you run on your 194 - 6" ?

ps. -- I use either Blue or Red RTV silicone , have fun …. :D

later, jim
I have always used a very thin film of RTV but this is a subject of many opinions. None of them bad because they all work as long as nothing is applied in excess.

J Mark ……………….. Thank You :cool: ……………… jim

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
Bearings are a mating surface, soo......
Hell, I hope not. That's why I use oil or grease on them. The second they mate, things start to go bad.

Maybe main or rod bearing caps, but I have even heard differing opinions about a spot of sealant of choice as a thin application to a rear main bearing cap mating surface, but some people say to not to. That's the quandary I'm in now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It depends on the maker of the gaskets, so just follow the makers instructions. The gaskets I usually use require a bit of sealant, so I use Permatex #1, been doing it that way for over 50 years, and it works for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts