Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a bottle and putting it in my radiator. The 404 ci runs cool while moving but gets a little warm in slow traffic. Just wondering if its worth the money, I plan to wrap my headers soon also. That should help some.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a big aluminum griffen radiator and one 16" fan. it gets up to around 210-215 at times at stops and when I shut it down it will creap over 220 till I restart it. I would just feel beter if it stayed around 190 most of the time. The old 331 ran rear cold all the time. I know the 400 run warmer due to the siamese cylinders. Just want to be safe . I do alot of in town cruising with the wife and kids. dont need any probloms.

·
Registered
813 Posts
IMO, a good cooling system will never let the temp go 10* over the theremostat temp.

I've use a 16" Spal fan before on a 468 BBC Camaro I had. Never would keep the temp down at idle. Switched to a dual Spal unit, and the problem went away. Dual units cover alot more radiator surface.

But really, and you're temps, I don't think you need to worry. I really wouldn't care what the temp was after I shut the engine off, it always going to heat soak.

230-240, I worry, ;) .

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Don't wrap your headers! That only promotes rust. Getting them coated will help your underhood temps some.

My $.02 worth ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any more input on header wraps. My headers are kinda beatup. I like the look of the wrap, kinda strickly buisness look! but if itisnt good I wont wrap them:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I used the water wetter by Red Line in my motorhome when I towed the car with it. It seemed to help some but was no big difference one could get excited about. In 100 degree temps it was getting 210 without the wetter and it seems to drop to about 205 with it but the gauge was just a tad lower and hard to tell. I thought it was worth 10 bucks. It says it works with water better than anti freeze if I remember right. RM

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Forgot to post about header wrap. We use to use it on dirt cars but as posted it will rot a set of headers pretty fast. If you want to reduce under hood temps coat the headers as suggested before. Just a better way to accomplish the same thing. RM

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
ONEBAD2 said:
when I shut it down it will creap over 220 till I restart it.

The heat up when you shut it down is perfectly normal because when the water pump shuts off the residual heat in the engine causes the temp to go up. I am surprised it only goes to 220. 30 to 40 degrees is not unusual at shut down but of course when you restart and get water flowing again the temps drop as soon as the cooler water from the radiator hits the engine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
header wrap is junk for a street car, it will rust and most likely crack due to the excess heat being held in...it will void most headers warranties, although once installed i'm not sure theres much of a warranty

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I run water wetter in my nova...a 60 over 350 and i noticed about 10-15 degree cool down....i like the stuff...

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
If you want a water additive that really works, try "40below". It comes in a quart can, in the $20.00 range.

My experience: 400 sb in 39 Buick; at the NSRA nationals in Louisville; running 220+. Added a can to the radiator; went out in stop and go traffic with AC on; car ran 180-190.

Negatives: May have to shop for it (Advance auto parts has it in my area) and its effectiveness drops off after one summers use.

Its nice to have a can of it in the trunk, to use whenever you need it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts