Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got alot of water spots on the clear coat on my gmc truck,anyone know how to get this stuff off the paint,i have tryed mothers paint cleaner with a eight inch buffer but it hardly takes the water spots off,theres got to be something that gets this stuff off the paint faster than the mothers paint cleaner
thanks don
ps the water in are area is real bad it spots this white stuff all over if you dont dry it real fast

·
Registered
606 Posts
We used vinegar at the car lots Ive worked at. Wont work if theyve been baked into the finish for more than a couple days though. Saw some crazy guys at a high end body shop use muratic acid on a brand new Lexus but theres no frickin way I was gonna. If youre brave give that a shot. It worked but made me nervous.

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
3M makes a product for dark cars that should do the trick, it takes out all the fine little scratches also. It comes in a black bottle and the liquid is gray in color, I can't remember the specific name on the bottle. This stuff is awesome, in my opinion. You will need to use your buffer with it.

White spots from your water is from the calcium (hard water) nasty stuff:mad:

·
Registered
544 Posts
You will need to "buff" the spots off. Hand rubbing with cleaner wax alone will not do the job. Get a buffer and look into Optimum Compound (www.obsessivedetail.com). That followed up with Optimum Poli-Seal will remove scratches, water spots, swirl marks and leave a paint sealant on the vehicle which will help keep the water spots off and dirt will wash off much easier. Paint sealant is better than a wax and lasts much longer. The poli-seal is a polish and sealant so it will bring out the depth in the paint, remove swirls left from the compound process and then leave a coat of sealant on the vehicle all in one. You can also add wax on top of that if you'd like. A small bottle of both should do the entire vehicle. If you dont have the funds to do it with a buffer (which I HIGHLY recommend) then you can get Optimum Hyper Compound and do it by hand but it will take a LONG time and wear you out.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
You will need to "buff" the spots off. Hand rubbing with cleaner wax alone will not do the job. Get a buffer and look into Optimum Compound (www.obsessivedetail.com). That followed up with Optimum Poli-Seal will remove scratches, water spots, swirl marks and leave a paint sealant on the vehicle which will help keep the water spots off and dirt will wash off much easier. Paint sealant is better than a wax and lasts much longer. The poli-seal is a polish and sealant so it will bring out the depth in the paint, remove swirls left from the compound process and then leave a coat of sealant on the vehicle all in one. You can also add wax on top of that if you'd like. A small bottle of both should do the entire vehicle. If you dont have the funds to do it with a buffer (which I HIGHLY recommend) then you can get Optimum Hyper Compound and do it by hand but it will take a LONG time and wear you out.
I might try this stuff. I have alot of swirl marks on my black car and wax just doesnt seem to be doing the trick for it. Dirt seems like it still sticks and I used a clay bar, cleaner wax, polishing wax, and a sealer wax. Is this stuff any good? Optimum Poli-Seal

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
3M makes a product for dark cars that should do the trick, it takes out all the fine little scratches also. It comes in a black bottle and the liquid is gray in color, I can't remember the specific name on the bottle. This stuff is awesome, in my opinion. You will need to use your buffer with it.

White spots from your water is from the calcium (hard water) nasty stuff:mad:
Liquid ebony, this is old school stuff that really works takes out swirls but not sure about hard water spots.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replys,i gave up and took it to a detail shop in modesto.they had it done in about a two hours.looks way better with that cloudy white stuff off of it.no more parking it in the driveway,the lawn sprinklers were the culprit.they did the windows also.
thanks don

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
thanks for all the replys,i gave up and took it to a detail shop in modesto.they had it done in about a two hours.looks way better with that cloudy white stuff off of it.no more parking it in the driveway,the lawn sprinklers were the culprit.they did the windows also.
thanks don
Did you happen to ask them what they used? I have water spots on the windshield of the wagon that I can't get out either.

-Justin

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Did you happen to ask them what they used? I have water spots on the windshield of the wagon that I can't get out either.

-Justin
I've had pretty good luck using Mother's chrome polish for water spots on windows. It seems to get mine cleaner than anything else I've ever used.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you happen to ask them what they used? I have water spots on the windshield of the wagon that i can't get out either.

-justin
justin,the shop said that the front windshield has a plastic sheet in it and that buffing it would make it blurry to look out of,and blind people comeing at you at night.my front window still has alittle bit of cloudyness to it
don

·
Registered
544 Posts
The hard water spots if not attained to quickly will be very hard to get off. Here where I live we are on well water, it is horrible to leave spots on the paint and glass. Did they apply a paint sealant or just wax?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hard water spots if not attained to quickly will be very hard to get off. Here where I live we are on well water, it is horrible to leave spots on the paint and glass. Did they apply a paint sealant or just wax?
some kind of paint conditioner,then buffed out, then wax,i went to ace hardware,in the paint dept. they have this stuff called,
BRUCES GSR glass water spot/stain remover
that iam going to try on the windshield
let you guys know how it works later on
its like a 100 degrees in the garage right
now:yes: keep you guys posted if the
stuff works
don

·
Registered
544 Posts
All I do on my customers' glass is buff with a light to medium compound with a wool/foam blend pad and then use a poli-seal on top of that. It will take out light scratches and water spots and leave a sealant on the glass which will also bead water almost like Rain-X. All those things that are made to remove hard water spots on glass are not needed and a lot of them will not work on hard water spots that have been on the glass for quite some time. I also find that boat compound (heavy) will remove very hard water spots that are pretty much etched into the glass...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts