Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering how much hp would you save or do you even save by putting an electric water pump I’m sure some here must be running them so how have your results been ? Is it worth the switch ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an electric water pump on my car. It is being built as a street/strip bracket racing car. I have run it around town and it runs cool. The main advantage is being able to cool the engine off between runs with the electric pump and electric fan.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s mostly a weekend cruiser so I’ll prob leave it as is cause it’s true wouldn’t want a short or electrical malfunction stopping the coolant flow and pop anther engine already had that happen and it’s mighty expensive was just curious if it was worth the time or not

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I went 9.30's at 141 with a mechanical water pump and underdrive pulleys. The only benefit to the electric is being able to circulate water with the engine off in between rounds.

·
Registered
140 Posts
And just how many miles does a drag week car get put on it?

With electric power steering (or electric power brakes) you still have manual to fall back on.

Electric fans shouldn't run except in traffic unless there's a problem. So you could "get by" at least sometimes.

On the other hand an electric water pump needs to run all the time, period. Except maybe at the track you don't run it going down the track but just in the pits.

The other day someone was asking about an electric water pump with a/c. Big disconnect there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
And just how many miles does a drag week car get put on it?

With electric power steering (or electric power brakes) you still have manual to fall back on.

Electric fans shouldn't run except in traffic unless there's a problem. So you could "get by" at least sometimes.

On the other hand an electric water pump needs to run all the time, period. Except maybe at the track you don't run it going down the track but just in the pits.

The other day someone was asking about an electric water pump with a/c. Big disconnect there.
Point is there are lots of street strip cars running an electric water pump... they do work just fine. I as well as everyone else I know run it when going down the drag strip too.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've had an electric water pump on mine since the 90's. L.A. to Nashville on Power Tour; L.A. to Phoenix, L.A. traffic...had a fuse go once, no big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts