Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am building a 355 sbc with a B&M 144 supercharger. I will be using a blower cam, trw blower pistons, forged 6" rods, forged crank, and I am still debating on the heads, and a Holley 750cfm carb. I plan on running 6-10 lbs of boost. I recently started looking into these water/meth injection systems. I see they are good for increasing fuel octane, keeping the engine cooler, and allowing more compression without detention. this is a street car that I would like to take to the track once in a while for a bit of fun but mostly a street car.

Has anyone used any of these systems before?

If so, what system?

What did you think of it?

How fast does the car go through the water/meth mixture?

Pros/cons?

Thanks for any info because they look cool but idk much about them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
since you are using blower pistons, I would assume your compression is around 8.5:1 or so... I think you'll be plenty safe with out the water/meth.

or you could always bump your compression to around 10.5:1, and run it on E85(if it's available in your area) :yes:

I have friends that have used the Snow kit, and they were happy.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Doug Flynn at Holley just played with one I can find out what he used.

I would highly suggest a set of AFR Eliminators. They have extra thick decks and work great for blower engines. Get the CNC chambers.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
E85 isn't really popular in my area. Maybe 1 or 2 stations around have it. I'm still on the fence because I really like the cooling ability because I run hot now so who knows what will happen with the supercharger.

And I would love to find out what Doug did because it's tough finding first hand experiences with the system. I don't know anyone in my area that ran it. It would be a cool thing for something different.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Doug Flynn at Holley just played with one I can find out what he used.

I would highly suggest a set of AFR Eliminators. They have extra thick decks and work great for blower engines. Get the CNC chambers.
+1 on the AFR's. I ran them NA on my stroker, and will be using them when I convert it over to my blower setup. these heads are very effective

·
Registered
92 Posts
I ran a snowperformance.net system on my supercharged NSX. I was able to tune the engine with more timing and power and the intake air temps were a lot cooler. Using the "boost juice" they recommend - I would go through maybe a gallon every month driving the car on the street. It all depends on how heavy your right foot is!! I was very happy with the system, and the guy I sold the car is still running the same set-up. It was 5 years ago that I installed it and no issues.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've been looking into into water meth systems myself for my 12:1 355. I want to drive it more on the street but $9 a gal gets costly after a while. If I could run 93 octane and not detonate the pistons into 100 pieces and gain power I think it would pay for it's self in a short time. Most systems I have seen are @$400. They claim up to 50 hp gain but I know that isn't true in all situations. I'd just be happy with running regular 93 octane even if there is no power gain.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
m3456y u see you said like a gallon a month. How often did you drive the car because mine doesn't get driven every day but maybe 2 times a week. How much did the system cost you because I am also looking at it for a supercharger application? How much tunin did it require? My father can tune a carb very well but how drastic is the change?

From what I am hearing this system sounds good. Hopefully after a little more research I will look into ordering a system.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I run snowperformance injection on my supercharged 93 mustang. I am running 10.5 pounds of boost. It works great and cools the mixture, keeps it out of detonation and allow for more time. Good stuff. Basically there is no down side to using it

·
Registered
92 Posts
m3456y u see you said like a gallon a month. How often did you drive the car because mine doesn't get driven every day but maybe 2 times a week. How much did the system cost you because I am also looking at it for a supercharger application? How much tunin did it require? My father can tune a carb very well but how drastic is the change?

From what I am hearing this system sounds good. Hopefully after a little more research I will look into ordering a system.
I'm guesstimating...if I drive it 3-4 times a week. I may have been high. The system cost $400 and there really is no downside. It can only be good for your engine. They actually ran a similar system on p40 flying tiger planes many years ago.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok good to hear. Looks like a lot of my questions are answered. Thanks guys. The only thing is the roots blower setup from snow performance is like $640 or something like that so I will have to save up a bit more.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The boost juice is I believe 49% methanol 51% water and windshield washer fluid is like 30% methanol 70% water. But it is also cheaper than boost juice.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Check out COOLINGMIST.COM Good parts , half the cost !

As for the JUICE , you can buy 5 gallons of alchohol and cut it ! WAY CHEAPER ... even homedepot sells denatured alchohol !

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finall got my water-methanol injection system. Found someone who bought it, blew their motor because wanted to drive it before it came in and now needed to sell it to fix their motor. $250 and still in original packaging. Was just about 500 new for the guy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts