Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed my 66 SS (except interior) and I have washed the car a few times. I notice a some water on the floor (no carpet yet). So, I must need to install some sort of seal between the cowl vents and interior pull vents? Any ideas or part numbers for this? Thanks.

Elwood

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Did you put a NEW windshield gasket in the car? Are you wind wing/Vent window gaskets new?

You need to get in the car and have someone spray water on the car in order to find out the where the leak is.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
there is putty you need to put on the vents...I cant remember what its called though??

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Did you put a NEW windshield gasket in the car? Are you wind wing/Vent window gaskets new?

You need to get in the car and have someone spray water on the car in order to find out the where the leak is.

Bryan
:yes::yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Water

Thanks for the responses. Another thing - I moved battery to the trunk and deleted the wiper fluid set-up. The engine compartment is clean with no wires showing. Near the cowl area there are a few holes I did not think to fill before paint. These must be there for the wiper fluid accessories. I might need to tape around those and fill them and use touch up paint. I mounted my kick panels with no sealant. I wonder if the "rolled up tape type sealer would work around the panels.

Elwood

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Another thing - I moved battery to the trunk and deleted the wiper fluid set-up. The engine compartment is clean with no wires showing. Near the cowl area there are a few holes I did not think to fill before paint. These must be there for the wiper fluid accessories. I might need to tape around those and fill them and use touch up paint. I mounted my kick panels with no sealant. I wonder if the "rolled up tape type sealer would work around the panels.

Elwood
Buy the caulk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Water

So this must be similar to butyl tape, the type that is often used for window placement? I have some of that - would it be an acceptable alternative? It may soften up too much in the heat.

EP

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The kickpanel vents will need to be sealed, but I would confirm where the leak is. It is not uncommon to have it leak @ the lower corners of the windshield seal. Also have seen them leak between the glass and the seal, although that is normally noticed while driving.

Walt

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Water leak

I found out where the wateris entering the interior (big NorCal storm). It's coming in at each bottom corner of front glass. I installed this a year ago with Soff Seal rubber seal - no sealant. Question - is there a sealer (goop) I that I can place in the corners without removing the glass? What do you recommend in the way of product to fix this. I dont drive in the rain much, but it enters the car when I wash it. Thanks.

Elwood

·
Registered
372 Posts
Go to a glass shop and have them use their stuff. 3M makes a glass sealer in a pint can that has a duck bill nozzle. The shop can squirt this into the corners and it takes years for it to harden. The leak you have is very common and the glass shop will be equipped to fix this easily. I don't think they will charge you more than $15.00 bucks or so.

·
5,130 Posts
So this must be similar to butyl tape, the type that is often used for window placement? I have some of that - would it be an acceptable alternative? It may soften up too much in the heat.

EP
No it is not. dum dum (strip caulk) is in foot long strips about 3/16 dia and is not a butyl.

butyl will probably not compress very well when you try to bolt the pieces together.

·
5,130 Posts
Go to a glass shop and have them use their stuff. 3M makes a glass sealer in a pint can that has a duck bill nozzle. The shop can squirt this into the corners and it takes years for it to harden. The leak you have is very common and the glass shop will be equipped to fix this easily. I don't think they will charge you more than $15.00 bucks or so.
3m also used to have it in a squeeze tube, don't remember the name been many years since a fixed a gasketed window leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts