Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the steering on my 73 whats the best way to do that? I was thinking of putting rack n pinion on there i already have tub a-arms. Is there a such thing as a bolt-in power rack n pinion for my car.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at that kit from POL but i would like to get a kit that has everything in ti like the power steering pump and hoses,tilt steering column and all the hardware to finish! so i will have to find out how much they sell it for. And for the carsteering one theres realy not to much info

·
Registered
234 Posts
Start with some wider/lower profile front tires:) You're going to need them anyway if you improve the suspension toward better cornering.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You can put faster ratio power steering boxes that have better feel than stock for a lot less money than a rack conversion. Check out CPP, if you already have power steering it should be an afternoon swap. Toughest part is pulling the pitman arm.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have read over at LS1tech.com that the mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee steering boxes are a direct fit with a tighter, quicker ratio. You just need a different rag joint. This one works I think.
http://lee-powersteering.com/rebuild-misc.htm

Lee Manufacturing seems to be selling the cream of the crop rebuilds. Not cheap if you get one of the Lee boxes. But a lot of guys are just going to the junkyard, grabbing a box out of a Cherokee and Lees rag joint.

I think the IROC Camaro boxes work too but I have not read too much on this swap.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I have read over at LS1tech.com that the mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee steering boxes are a direct fit with a tighter, quicker ratio. You just need a different rag joint. This one works I think.
http://lee-powersteering.com/rebuild-misc.htm

Lee Manufacturing seems to be selling the cream of the crop rebuilds. Not cheap if you get one of the Lee boxes. But a lot of guys are just going to the junkyard, grabbing a box out of a Cherokee and Lees rag joint.

I think the IROC Camaro boxes work too but I have not read too much on this swap.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
If you get junkyard box you will need o-ring fitting adapters for the hoses going into the box. If using 60's70's pump.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Im not really looking for better cornering just tighter steering less play better reaction. will just buying a new steering box make that big of a diifferace?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Have you tried adjusting your existing box?

The Jeep box is very popular with Chevelle guys.

CPP offers a number of choices.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a little bite but not much and the box is orginal and the hose that were on it were pretty bad so i bought new ones and were you screw in the pressure side the treads are gone so bad that the 1 side is completly smooth so thats what i got going on so i figured that was the last old thing left on the car so i figured that rack n pinion was the way to go but if i can get a little better steering with just buying the steering box then why not go with the upgraded box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts