Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being nova owners, you all know what a pain it is to get wheels/tires on a budget to fit on the rear of the car. Friday i got a call from my dad, he told me (while shopping for a pair of used tires for my truck) he found a guy with slicks...3 passes. M/T 28*9-14's. so we got them. then he calls one of his buddies to see if he's got a pair of 14*8 or so rims for the back. he's got some "rocket" wheels. an older 5-spoke. they look a lot like cragars. anyway...no measuring or mock up to check, just mount the tires and the fit. perfectly. last year's slicks (27*10-15's) on 7" wide pontiac steelies just barely fit under the car and forget going around a corner. We couldn't have bought custom wheels to fit better...it blew my mind that finally, on the cheap and in a hurry something actually worked out RIGHT! of course, the races got rained out by the time i got home, but i'd rather have wheels to fit all summer than race opening night.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Uh - oh ... now you jinxed it for sure :D :D .

Congrats on your find (on the cheap too) ... that never works for me.

We finally put the rear wheel and tire combo on the '74 Nova - after much research, measuring and reading - ran in to some unexpected fitment troubles 'cause the bozos had reworked the rear quarters once upon a time causing the fender lip to hang over in an odd way. Trimmed the lip. a little nudge here, another squeeze there and finally 255x60x15 BFG's on 15x8x4.5 Weld ProStars fit.

... but just barely ;) ... new quarters on the way next year maybe.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
didn't have time to get pics...but when i go race (two or three weeks) i'll get some.

those wrinkle walls are neat! i put the line lock on and gave it a little gas to see how well they would wrinkle and dad said i should switch him and check it out. so he got in (the car is in the driveway next to his truck) and held the line lock down while he put some gas to it and i watched the tires wrinkle...and then they released and the car jumped about 6" sideways. i flattened out against the truck so tight you could stand behind it and not see me! we were kinda pissed the races got rained out because the setup now is gonna be HOT! 7.50 or bust!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
where are you racing at??

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the track at pacific junction was supposed to open friday night. that got rained out but the last i had heard they were still planning on racing yesterday. i had to come back to work or i would have been there saturday night.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts