Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an item you do not see every day. Looked them up and they are legit. Listed in the '62 and '63 Chevy accessory guides. Would be fun to have as a novelty, but that price is a bit prohibitive.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Crikey. Really? Think they seal well enough for camping to keep a mosquito out? Now I have slept in a sleeping bag in a wagon with the seat down in a sleeping bag at the Pomona Swap Meet, but a first class camper the thing is not. I guess that's what they're for. If I ever saw any in an old wagon, I'd have tossed them thinking they were owner fabbed and not what I was after.

·
13,813 Posts
Has to be the rarest wagon option ever. Not in the 62 or 63 Custom Features and Accessories catalogues and don't show in the GM Heritage Center factory/dealer options for either year. How would anyone even know you could get them?

Bob

·
Registered
223 Posts
If anyone is serious about a like new, used set - PM me. I have a set I pulled from a 63 wagon back in the 70s and hung on to them all this time. Only set I've ever seen. I thought they might be, but wasn't sure, if they were a Chevy accessory...until now...cool!

·
Vendor
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Further research shows there was one for the tailgate as well that had its own unique part number. I suspect there might have been a camping accessory brochure or sales pitch with the Corvair Greenbrier as the center piece. The Corvair FCs appear to have quite a few camping accessories.

·
13,813 Posts
GM Heritage Center shows window screens as a dealer available option under 'Sporting Equipment' For 62-64 Greenbrier.

B.

·
Vendor
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And there you go! Guess someone thought to give it a try with the Chevy II as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
I've given it a try overnight in a wagon. Those Chevy II wagons sure have gotten smaller over the years. I guess with Greenbriar they had to try to keep up with VW Kombi and Westfalia in the underpowered camping vehicle wars.

·
13,813 Posts
I've given it a try overnight in a wagon. Those Chevy II wagons sure have gotten smaller over the years. I guess with Greenbriar they had to try to keep up with VW Kombi and Westfalia in the underpowered camping vehicle wars.
First Greenbriers were 80 HP. In 1964, they were boosted to 95 HP. According to GM Heritage site information, the Greenbrier 'Sporting Equipment' was only a dealer installed option and was never a factory offering. The 'Sporting Equipment' was the folding bed, cabinetry, top mounted tent, window screens, curtains and even a child hammock over the front seats like early Westfalia's.

I'm betting if you went to your dealer in these years and asked for window screens for your Chevy II wagon you got a funny look, because he didn't know they existed :giggle:

Bob

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,760 Posts
I like seeing this kind of 'less - known' GM parts - - - - Who knew ……

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,015 Posts
I used to sleep in and race dirt bikes out of my 65 wagon. It was perfect for me even without the screens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts