Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if i swapped all the glass on my wagon for fiberglass replacements, save for the windshield, how much weight would i drop? I plan on making them fully operational too. I know that i will be leaving weight on the table but no biggie, i'd rather keep the sleeper look and them having the ability to roll down is a big plus int he right direction.

The reason i ask is because the car will be a dedicated drag car and is currently missing windows. The stock glass seems kinda pricey when compared to lexan sheeting that i can cut myself.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
well if some know's please tell us. See this how my wagon is set up. Except my window's are not functional. But I have a question for ya. If this is going to be a Drag only car.......what does it matter if they are functional

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
If you get the good Lexan race glass it's going to be more than stock glass. If you get the cheap stuff you can buy at a plastics shop or whatever, it's going to scratch easy, especially if you try to use it functionally like real glass. SpeedGlass and other good quality stuff has a special hard coating on it to prevent scratches and abrasion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at the Harwood set with Margard and they flat sheets they make to cut the back side and tailgate glass from.

As for the first question, i guess i am just a lil obsessed with making it "look" stock. It will be registered so i can drive it to the track(s) as well. In all honesty the only windows that will see use will be the front doors. I don't see the any others ones being used too often.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Well the only window on mine that is functional is the rear. And only so I can put fuel in to the fuel tank. My tank is mounted over the rear axle and to access the trap door you half to go through the back window.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I can tell you this. The old saying "100lbs = 1 tenth", is BS.
I personally lost 70 lbs this past year, I thought I would a least pick up around 5 hun. ........ZERO, NO FASTER. So keep the glass, looks better, unless there is a ton of weight to be saved.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I can tell you this. The old saying "100lbs = 1 tenth", is BS.
I personally lost 70 lbs this past year, I thought I would a least pick up around 5 hun. ........ZERO, NO FASTER. So keep the glass, looks better, unless there is a ton of weight to be saved.
BS??? Care to wager on that one? I think there's a lot of people who will have a different view. We added 50# and could see a difference.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
If you didn't see any difference, then something else has changed which could be a whole laundry list of things, but I can guarantee you with no uncertainty that weight changes do make an affect. Could be all the way from weather, tires, track, on and on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts