Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wagon has a power tailgate window that suddenly stopped moving, it is in the down position. when i try to put the window up or down i hear no clicking or engaging of the motor but the dome light slightly dims so I know power is being delivered to the motor.

anyone have any ideas as to how I can diagnose this? I pulled the inner tailgate panel off but can't get to the motor but i can see that everything is connected.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Hey Blurr,
I am not sure how to help you with this. I was working on a 63 Impala power tailgate in the junk yard and wanted to remove the regulator and motor. I forgot that it was spring loaded. When I took the motor off the regulator I almost lost my thumb. Good thing I move quick. So, I would like to know how to test the motor.

There is some information in a earlier thread

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38480&highlight=wagon+tailgate

here is some more info

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/2779/tailgate.html

Good Luck,
novamaniac

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks maniac. yeah i saw those links earlier but i don't think they address my problem. i know power is going to the motor, i just don't know why it isn't working. any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I am not going to be able to help with this. Sorry!!!!

The motor on the impala regulator has 3 wires coming into it. One green, one yellow and one gray. The wiring harness has been butchered up too much to make much sense of what I have.

Someone else has to know. Maybe you can contact Larry on the wagon website.

Good Luck,
novamaniac

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
novamaniac said:
I am not going to be able to help with this. Sorry!!!!

The motor on the impala regulator has 3 wires coming into it. One green, one yellow and one gray. The wiring harness has been butchered up too much to make much sense of what I have.

Someone else has to know. Maybe you can contact Larry on the wagon website.

Good Luck,
novamaniac
good idea. if Larry has an answer i'll post it in this thread.

·
Registered
150 Posts
be careful

If you decide to remove the motor for testing purposeses you should get a hold of a 1962 chevy nova shop manual in it you will find the correct way to do this SAFELY.If the glass is in the down position you must first raise it about 1/2 way up to get access to the 4 scews that hold the glass onto the cams.Most likely your proplem is with your wiring or switches.Try this.,open the tailgate and locate and unplug the harness inside the drivers rear quarter panel .Look for the grey wire at the connector that runs toward the tailgate.this wire raises the glass.Next remove the battery from the car and with a pair of jumper cables connect the negative side of the battery to the ground tab at the tailgate pass side)next connect a wire to the grey wire terminal now touch the grey wire to the positive battery cable.(try to do this as far away from the battery as possible fumes could ignite).Hopefully the glass will raise enough to get access to the screwsOnce you remove the four screws you can remove the glass from the cams and simply pull the glass out.This will give you access to the motor and connections for testing ..I answered a similar post today in the electrical section .Their are three wires that connect to the tailgate motor The middle one is green(ground) the yellow one when energized lowers the motor the grey one when energized raises the motor.I hpoe this helps you with your tailgate problem.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried contacting Larry from the Nova wagon website ([email protected]) regarding my power tailgate problem but I got an autoreply from his mail provider that his mailbox was disabled due to an extended period of inactivity.

does anyone know of a current e-mail address he uses?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey Blurr,

A lot of times the ground button is missing. The ground button is located on the passenger side of the tailgate. It is designed so that when the tailgate is in the closed position, the button makes contact with the body. The button is not in contact when the tailgate is down, therefore the window can not be activated. You may want to check if you're grounded properly.

Hope this helps. Your best bet for info is Rudy. I don't think Larry has updated his page for years now.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts