Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all !

I've been looking for a place to buy a new window crank for my '67 wagon. I can't seem to find them in the the obvious places... are they not "re-popped"?

Mine has a broken handle. (looks like someone cranked it too hard at the stop point and it broke the inner pop-metal part that engaeges the regulator)

Any help would be appreciated !

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
no not re-poped
your not alone :no:
this is a typical problem :yes:

the best bet is to hit the swap meets ,watch e-bay and keep searchin' .
can be some good $$ for a clean one
good luck
schwabie

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Hey all !

I've been looking for a place to buy a new window crank for my '67 wagon. I can't seem to find them in the the obvious places... are they not "re-popped"?

Mine has a broken handle. (looks like someone cranked it too hard at the stop point and it broke the inner pop-metal part that engaeges the regulator)

Any help would be appreciated !
Check with Nova Joe or Walt's classic novas (nova656567). They will be your best best.

T,

·
Registered
788 Posts
The way I solved it was

to switch to electric power tailgate. Problem no more and I can open it anytime I want to from the drivers seat or the tailgate.

The styling is also much better.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
to switch to electric power tailgate. Problem no more and I can open it anytime I want to from the drivers seat or the tailgate.

these parts are also very hard to find :yes:
regulator & motor , wiring harness , switches and a breaker
schwabie

·
Registered
6 Posts
tail gate crank

Hi Craigert,
I have a 63 with a broken crank. Do mind telling me how you converted it to power? Did you use NOS or used from the same generation or could you put in something else?
Also, do you know where I would find info on how to remove the old crank, escucheon, etc.
Thanks!
Grant

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hi Craigert,
I have a 63 with a broken crank. Do mind telling me how you converted it to power? Did you use NOS or used from the same generation or could you put in something else?
Also, do you know where I would find info on how to remove the old crank, escucheon, etc.
Thanks!
Grant

When craig and I talked about doing the conversion in my wagon he had mentioned using the generator (motor) from mid model suburban.

I lucked out and found a rotten power tailgate on craigs for 20 bucks.

When I get to converting my gate I will be selling my crank. It looks nice and rolls but does not stick in the upright position all the time.

-Jim

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks!

Grant

I too have noticed and planned ahead as some of the others here have alluded to the scarcity of the tailgate power conversion. Having been involved with Chevy IIs since 1963, I have scrounged these parts over the years laying back the needed parts for the tailgate itself. Mainly the power regulator is the most needed. You can shave the tailgate lock and either remote or cabin operate the electric motor.

However I did acquire a lock switch for the tailgate. The dash operated rotating switches I had were so poor I figured up a relay with a small momentary switch under the dash. Also I inbcorporated a nice circuit breaker for the system at the cowl area above the vent. I have so used the shop manual in all of my plans along with the assembly manual.

The motor can be replaced with a version from one of the 70s era Suburban tailgates with a little ingenuity.

I guess the real answer to the question is pay the price wherever you find the regulator and keep your eyes peeled. Some of the people like John Picola (MrChevyII @aol.com) may have used parts to satisfy your need.

Craig

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have a driver quality crank that Nova Joe turned me on to a few weeks ago that I would let go for what I have in it. I bought it for a friend, who found another leaving me stranded with a spare. Send me a PM if your interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts