Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what is the best way or trick to removing the stainless trim on wagon roof railing? Dont want to do any damage. Thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you are talking about the drip rail, forget it. It's not worth trying to remove it. Many guys have posted the same question since I've been on this forum, and the replies are all the same... at your own risk. Maybe things have changed since two years ago, but that was the over-all opinion.

Just tape it, and spray over it. You can't get it as they don't sell re-pops anyway. So if it gets damages, its gone for good.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I removed mine, use a paint stick and lightly tap the lower edge of the drip rail moulding to remove it, (Do not try and remove the molding in one tap) work your way down and take your time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oh-no!! I was happy knowing it was better not to try it.... now you had to go and offer this good advice!

LOL!

·
Registered
75 Posts
sad to say but mine is holding the roof in place on the passenger side:(

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I removed mine, use a paint stick and lightly tap the lower edge of the drip rail moulding to remove it, (Do not try and remove the molding in one tap) work your way down and take your time.
Are there any clips involved with the drip rail moulding or does it just sort of snap in place over the lip (hopefully not in two when removing :)

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
It is so thin that one wrong move on the buffer and your done:yes: I went to Lowes and bought the 5/16" steel rod that they sell in various lengths and diameters. I bent it to fit my 66 hardtop stainless, and it snaps right in. Use tape every 6 inches. You can apply more pressure and not have to worry about bending the trim. The steel rod was only 4' so I marked the stainless were the rod ended so as not to cause a kink and then just moved the steel rod and tape then finished polishing. Not much work:rolleyes:. Good luck. Cory

1 - 14 of 14 Posts