Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
if everything isnt 100% with the window it wont work right.The windows got a pretty healthy spring so EXTERME care should be taken when working with this thing,it will lop off a finger if the motor is remove without locking the regulator first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The third wire on the original motor is for the ground to the safety switch that only allows the window to operate when the gate is closed - the new (replacement) motor is grounded by the body of the motor - will operate with the gate up or down - if you use the new motor you just have to be careful not to touch the switches with the gate down. If you are having problems getting the glass to move up there are a couple of things to look for - glass run channel can be adjusted somewhat to make sure glass is not binding going up - both in the tailgate and into upper channel - the spring on the regulator - I had to wind the spring tighter when I installed power window into my tailgate - the spring is there to help the motor roll window up - the weight of the glass helps it move down - as said before - BE CAREFUL - the spring tension can and will do harm.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I took the glass and the regulator out and the regulator has no spring.
Anyone know who has one?

Once I find one, how do you get it on without losing a finger or an eye?!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Old thread I know but I was wanting to see about getting some info on removing the powered window. My car originally has a manual tailgate window but I bought a new tailgate since mine was too far rusted. The motor in it I am sure is no good and I dont have the money to buy a new lock, keys, switch, wiring and motor so plan to just throw the manual one back on for now. One day I would love to have all powered windows in the car but that will be later on down the road after the car is road worthy and already my daily driver. As for taking the old motor and internals out, where is the spring and how to I unload it without having any injuries or problems? I am glad I read this thread because I didn't know about it. I do know that the glass raises up by itself and it takes a LOT of strength to put it back down so there is a ton of tension on it.
Thanks for any tips, info, suggestions and pictures if you have them.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The reg can be removed form the tailgate as one piece.There are access holes in the gate that will allow removal of the window.Once you get the reg out of the gate you can get an idea of where to bolt the thing to keep it from cutting something off.If the motor is dead a second pair of hands can help but remember,the motor bolted to the reg keeps the thing from becoming a pair of scissors.If somebody can post a picture it would be easier to explain.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for the explaination. Yeah pictures would be great because I looked at mine and I may a complete idiot but I dont get it. haha

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
24 Posts
my power tailgate motor works great up and down from the rocker switch, but at the key in back it will roll down, but i cannot get it to roll up....hmm
has to be something with the key switch, lots to look into

·
Registered
76 Posts
replacement plug

anyone know where to get a replacement 3 way plug for the tailgate motor

·
Registered
433 Posts
anybody have a lead on where to still find this other than a junkyard? having trouble sourcing one online.
Thanks
What are you looking for, the motor or complete setup? You can get the motor at any auto parts. Give them the AC delco number and it will cross to whatever they can get.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts