Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after 4 weeks of trying I got the first 24 quarts of VR1 10W30 Synthetic

And BY THE WAY,,,,, if ya care or remember you old guys:devil: The OIL color???? Its blue again!:eek:

I haven't decided whether to send this out for testing as it costs 135.00 for three test kits.. plus shipping....

if there is a great enough interest.. I may send it.. but then I will have two more sample bottles left for ?????:rolleyes:

Wonder how Urine would test in a oil spectrograph? :devil:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
The OIL itself is blue? Why, that's my favorite color..I might have to get some just for that reason! Was it still on sale, or what is the price?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a standing order with them.. as it was advertised for 3.99 a qt.. and I ordered it.. so the price was 3.99, but... because it took four weeks to get it.. they cut the price to 2.99 a qt....

regular price is supposed to be around the same price as any other Synthetic.. 5.99 to 7.99 depending where ya get it at...

EDIT: Yep the oil its self is blue.. just like back in the 60's...

Far..... out...... MAN........

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
They have VR1 everywhere I've checked here where I live...Central Valley..Getting it was no problem........:yes:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hey blues my favorite color to!I need some of that oil right now.

When's it supposed to be out everywhere?

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
So I guess without testing no one knows how the regular and synthetic versions of VR1 compare for use in flat tappet engines? In theory, the synthetic is supposed to be better right?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have VR1 everywhere I've checked here where I live...Central Valley..Getting it was no problem........:yes:
this is brand new.. there has not been a synthetic VR1 in over 10 years... this was just released in march.. in two flavors... a 10w30 full synthetic pictured above and a 20w50 full synthetic....

price your VR1.. if its 3.99 a qt then its dino, if its 6.99 and above then its the synthetic.... standard VR1 is amber color.. the new VR1 synthetic is BLUE!:D

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I guess without testing no one knows how the regular and synthetic versions of VR1 compare for use in flat tappet engines? In theory, the synthetic is supposed to be better right?
According to VALVOLINE.... its the same package as dino vr1... so minimum 1200ppm zinc... closer to 1400ppm...

Let me say.. I have no fear of running this stuff in my fairly radical solid lifter FT cam... My cam.. is .608/.615 259/[email protected] 288/296 I run 150 seat and 380 open....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Reed Cams used to have a little flyer in the cam box that stated something to the effect of "Warrenty void on flat tappet camshafts if synthetic oil is used". Did a search. Looks like their not alone. Not saying I agree with it. Just something I heard. (I run synthetic in my Nova but it has a roller hydraulic camshaft.)

**Special Note Regarding Synthetic Oils**

Please note, Isky does not recommend the use of synthetic oils with any flat-tappet camshaft-
especially during break-in. If you must use synthetic oil after break-in, there are only two brands we are
comfortable recommending. They are Amzoil (Red) Racing Oil and Joe Gibbs Performance Racing Oil.
Both contain zinc and phosphorous and will fare well AFTER break-in has been successfully completed.
Other synthetics, especially those with very low viscosity index numbers (i.e. Ow-15, 5w-20 etc.) have
very low film strength and are not designed for, nor should they be employed in any flat-tappet cam
installation. .
While some synthetic oil works ok with flat tappet cams, many do not. Never break in a fresh engine with synthetic oil. There are no cam grinders that I know of that recommend the use of any synthetic oil with flat tappet cams. The use of synthetics is primarily needed in very high temperature or low temperature applications. If you properly control the oil temperature you have less need for synthetics. Several of our customers add 2 quarts of conventional oil to their synthetic oil with good results.

An excellent additive with high zinc content is General Motors EOS. I haven’t seen a new bottle yet but I have heard that the label has been changed from engine oil supplement to engine assembly lubricant so it won’t be used as an oil additive regularly. I have heard on good authority that EOS is not compatible with Mobile 1 synthetic oil. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything as to compatibility with other synthetic oils. Other companies such as Prolong, have similar additives.
http://www.camcraft-cams.com/index.php?page=cam-failures

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
what you have to remember is this is VR1 not islac gf3/4 oils... this version has a full complement of ZDDP suitable for high lift, high spring rate FT cams....

Also remember VR1 is NOT suitable for NEW CARS.. it will void manufacturers warranty... because it is a racing oil made for FT and High spring rate valvetrain... with high concentrations of ZDDP well over the 800ppm needed to meet manufactures warranty... manufactures warranty requires a oil with 800ppm zddp or less.

If you will read the sticky at the top entitled: ZDDP and Modern oils...... you will see.. what is true and not...

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
So where did you buy it again? Straight from Valvoline or...? Valvoline's website says available at participating Autozones. I haven't talked to my local zone yet, but autozone.com doesn't find anything about vr1 synthetic. A google search finds almost nothing about that part number either. I guess it's so new no one knows about it. I sure hope my local autozone can pull some strings.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Keep us posted, veno. If you don't do the comprehensive chemical panel, will you be doing a used oil analysis (UOA)? I prefer my oil color green (Brad Penn) for my race engines, but I'm always interested in oil and lubrication study results... :yes:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So where did you buy it again? Straight from Valvoline or...? Valvoline's website says available at participating Autozones. I haven't talked to my local zone yet, but autozone.com doesn't find anything about vr1 synthetic. A google search finds almost nothing about that part number either. I guess it's so new no one knows about it. I sure hope my local autozone can pull some strings.

I had to get the distric manager to track it down and bring it in.. PT# on the box! (C249H)

Keep us posted, veno. If you don't do the comprehensive chemical panel, will you be doing a used oil analysis (UOA)? I prefer my oil color green (Brad Penn) for my race engines, but I'm always interested in oil and lubrication study results... :yes:
Duno..Annalists inc charges 135.00 for three test kits....

When I get a handle on the new shop.... I will check in to Polaris labs fees..

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Good news! I tracked down twelve bottles of the VR1 Synthetic at the Wylie, Texas autozone. I went to another autozone and gave them the part number and they were able to tell me what store had it in stock in my area. Apparently they can't order any and it's a "non-stock" item. So basically I was lucky that one store had some in my area. I had to ask for it and the guy found it in the back, not on display with the other oils. $7.99 a quart, I'm glad today was payday....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
You use the term VR1 alot in the previos posts. Not knowing if you mean synthetic VR1 or regular VR1. I found regular VR1 . Am I OK for my FT cam?

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
The synthetic just came out and is hard to find. From what I know, Veno hasn't done any tests with the synthetic yet. So most any VR1 he mentions should refer to the regular non-synthetic I'd think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts