Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on building a 406 for my 63 post...ive pretty much been out of the game for 20 yrs...so im thinking i want to get about 11-1 to 11-5 compression and use true flat top pistons..and was wondering what the vibe is on vortech heads..seems like alot of ppl are using them for some reason..dont know reasons pro or con????..i was planning on using some old style 64 cc heads and shaving a few off em and decking the block a little..and enlarging the ports a hair with a mill..etc...to get some good flow out of em..this the better way or something im missing with the vortech heads..thanks for any input in advance..thanks

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I'm running a set of Edelbrock E-tec 170's on my car right now, which is basically a Vortec head with some exhaust port work done. They're a 64 cc head as well. I'm very impressed with them. Got them as part of the top end kit with a dyno matched cam and intake and it really woke the car up.

My old engine liked 36-38 degrees of total timing, but with these vortec style heads it seems to just need around 32 degrees.

You'll need to use the appropriate intake manifold with those heads as well since they're a little different than old school chevy heads.

With 11:1 or 11.5:1 compression it sounds like you're prepared to be running race fuel, I dont think pump gas will be an option with a setup like that. Sounds like you'll have a wicked engine when all said and done.

Thats good you're back after 20 years. What did you used to have/run?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts