Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a crate 350/T-350 combo from a friend for $1500 that has less than 1000 miles. The motor is the 250 hp version. Deal included Dist,water pump and an Eld intake,starter also. I also recently picked up a deal on a set of new in the boxes GMPP ZZ5 062 Vortech heads. These heads have the large ports,.530 lift springs,bigger valves, cut for studs and guide plates, that deal included some roller tip rockers to match heads. Now after all that rant/info I have a few questions. 1. I want to keep my AC,PS,PDB options on the 71 Nova that I`m installing all this into. Anybody know if my stock brackets work or do I need to make a trip to a scrap yard. 2. A good cam suggestion. Again I want to keep some vaccum to run my accessories. One good suggesstion I have had was a Comp 268. 3. Am I going to need some .100 over pushrods or will stock length work ? I am going to use another intake has the heads will accept both patterns and I have a 70 ish Z28 version in my shop ,also I will be running headers. Thanks in advance. Dale :) I will be adding a 4sp auto and posi later but this will be in a occasional driver not a race car.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I ran a similar setup with the Xtreme Solid version of the 268 cam. It is a solid Flat tappet. With a good set of rockers and locks you shoudl only have to adjust once ormaybe twice a year. The car ran great and frankly a lot fewer hassles than a roller.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The head assessory holes are in the exact location of all factory small block heads from 1969 & up.

You will have no issues!

But I am curious about "GMPP ZZ5 062 Vortech heads"

What are the casting number or part number?

ZZ5??

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I just had some longer valves installed myself

Although the heads arent on yet. I went with .100 longer valves and Im not sure which springs they were but know they provide about 120 lbs of seat pressure. While I had the valves installed, the heads were also machined to take 2.02/1.60's. I was told Id have to measure for the correct length pushrods after I have the cam and lifters in. Not sure how that works yet but will in a month or so

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Big Al I looked at the GMPP cat and at Pace`s web site where these Vortech`s came from and I think that they changed the part #. The heads are still in the GM boxes. I`m at the Fire station at this time but tomorrow afternoon I can see if there are more numbers. I got the ZZ5 off of the boxes with a GM tag. My main concern was what brackets I`ll need and what cars to look for if I need to run to the yard. Thanks for info so far.:)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah Big Al I looked at the GMPP cat and at Pace`s web site where these Vortech`s came from and I think that they changed the part #. The heads are still in the GM boxes. I`m at the Fire station at this time but tomorrow afternoon I can see if there are more numbers. I got the ZZ5 off of the boxes with a GM tag. My main concern was what brackets I`ll need and what cars to look for if I need to run to the yard. Thanks for info so far.:)
your stock brackets should work

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the factory comp ratio for that crate motor is 8.5 with the heads that come on it. I`ve run the XE274 before in a 79 Z Camaro w/Alum heads 406 combo and it performed well. Thanks again on the bracket info has I had received other info that stated otherwise. Dale

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
I have a crate 350 with vortec heads and they would not accept the stock brackets.

I ordered brackets from "Alan Grove" to make it work.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got home from work. The Alt bolts to the head,intake and the water pump, The PS bolts to the head/exhaust manifold and the AC uses the exhaust and a monster bracket for the head. I`ve got to run out for a while and later I`ll get the rest of the #`s for the heads. Thanks onecarnut for the Alan Grove note.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I just got home from work. The Alt bolts to the head,intake and the water pump, The PS bolts to the head/exhaust manifold and the AC uses the exhaust and a monster bracket for the head. I`ve got to run out for a while and later I`ll get the rest of the #`s for the heads. Thanks onecarnut for the Alan Grove note.
Ooops, I didn't look before I posted and didn't see it was a third gen issue. :D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The part #`s on the heads --12558062 also an 03 near one of the pushrod ports, and of course the made in Mexico cast in. On the box it has as stated GM Parts ZZ5DTSH. onecarnut the Alan Grove brackets I`m guessing wont clear the hood on my 71,[went to site to look]. And once again thanks for options and opinions. I`m assuming that I don`t need .100 over push rods ? :)

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The part #`s on the heads --12558062 also an 03 near one of the pushrod ports, and of course the made in Mexico cast in. On the box it has as stated GM Parts ZZ5DTSH. onecarnut the Alan Grove brackets I`m guessing wont clear the hood on my 71,[went to site to look]. And once again thanks for options and opinions. I`m assuming that I don`t need .100 over push rods ? :)
hey are good heads. They are standard production Vortec heads.

Al

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
My son's 68 Chevy II has the "Alan Grove" brackets on it.

He is running the same setup as my 49 Chevy - 350 crate motor, vortec heads. It puts the AC compressor and alt way out to the side and it has no clearance issues.

Here is the part numbers that we used on the 68

AC brackets from Alan Grove #133R
Alternator bracket, Alan Grove, #232L
(Vortec heads)

PS brackets, Alan Grove #400L - on my 49.

If you call them, they will help you.

Lou

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks onecarnut for the #`s I`ll look into those. As usuall this is one of the most informative sites there is,plus little or no bickering. Nukledragger you don`t have time to post here get back to work on the Nova, your up against the clock. Shoo :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
Good point, if she doesn't blow up on the dyno tomorrow, I'll put it between the fenders Saturday.

Your combo sounds great, should pull hard yet idle and drive nicely with that cold AC blowin......

·
Registered
544 Posts
In order to tell which cam is needed we need to know the compression ratio, tranny, gears and tire diameter and what your using the car for. Best thing I can tell you is contact Summit and let them know what you have and what it's for. I see too many people around here running huge cams on their street cars and while it sounds nice it runs like crap. Either that or they use a huge stall and wrong gears and it's not running in the RPM range of the cam, so these are huge things to keep in mind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts