Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 vortec 350 that i converted to carburated. it still has the factory roller cam in it. will it be ok to run an hei distributor with a steel gear with this camshaft?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i just take the gear off of the distributor that came stock in the motor and put it on the hei?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the manufactur of my new hei distributor says that their steel gear will be fine as long as the cam isnt billet, is the factory roller cam billet?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
can i just take the gear off of the distributor that came stock in the motor and put it on the hei?
As long as the shafts have the same diameter which I believe they do. Just compare and change if possible. MSD distributors run a larger shaft .500, but factory will most likely interchange as all the old stuff did. If you can measure the shafts or inside hole of the gear you won't go wrong. At least Chevy just slides on over the shaft after pin removal where as Ford's are actually pressed on.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
just remove the allen head pin and slide the gear off, correct?
Just punch the pin out with a hammer and punch and it slides right off. Don't loose the shim or washer above it.

I have a little trick for doing the Fords though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts