Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, What are your opinions on an intake for a 350 4 bolt..060 over..10.3 compression...comp high energy hyd.cam...vortec heads with after market springs...fenderwell headers (hope the headers will work with the vortec heads) will go in a 63 chevy II....4 speed close ratio 12 bolt posi 3;73 gear. I asked my engine builder to shoot for 350-375HP...he said im in. There are many intakes and the compairsons are close. Looking towards a dual ,plane. TKS

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering about the Port size in compairason to the proper intake. The summit stage 3 has pretty good numbers for a 200.00 unit.

Registered
In the HP range you are looking at, I don't think you can go wrong with any manifold. And as far as HP, the small loss from any knockoff brand won't hurt you either. So I would say go with whatever is in your budget and whatever fits well.

Registered
65 Super Sport
In the HP range you are looking at, I don't think you can go wrong with any manifold. And as far as HP, the small loss from any knockoff brand won't hurt you either. So I would say go with whatever is in your budget and whatever fits well.
I agree. Speedway has a line of low priced knock off manifolds too.

Premium Member
Just stick with a dual plane. A common mistake people make is putting a big single plane on a mild engine like yours. They run ok, but run a lot harder with a dual plane. Dont give up the torque.

Registered
Not going to get into the open spacer argument again but call Edlebrock and ask them about open spacers on dual plane manifolds.

Registered
I went with the Edelbrock Performer RPM for my Vortec (GM Fast Burn) heads. I have a Quadrajet (spread bore) carb, so I couldn't use the RPM Air Gap. If you're running a square bore carb, go with the RPM Air Gap. It's probably the best manifold for a street engine with Vortec heads.

I went with the Edelbrock because I trust their stuff to fit. That's particularly important with Vortec heads. Also, for the same reason, DON'T go cheap on your intake gaskets, and follow the instructions to the letter on torquing the intake manifold bolts. I've used these the last two times I had my intake off, they are excellent, and they are OEM for GM:

https://www.amazon.com/MAHLE-Original-MS16167P-Engine-Manifold/dp/B006E0MS8M

This Fel-Pro Perma Dry set is good, too: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-ms98000t?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-fel-pro&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8o-v6vKY4gIVE6vsCh0NrAK1EAQYBCABEgLagPD_BwE

Gerry

Registered
I went with the Edelbrock Performer RPM for my Vortec (GM Fast Burn) heads. I have a Quadrajet (spread bore) carb, so I couldn't use the RPM Air Gap. If you're running a square bore carb, go with the RPM Air Gap. It's probably the best manifold for a street engine with Vortec heads.

I went with the Edelbrock because I trust their stuff to fit. That's particularly important with Vortec heads. Also, for the same reason, DON'T go cheap on your intake gaskets, and follow the instructions to the letter on torquing the intake manifold bolts. I've used these the last two times I had my intake off, they are excellent, and they are OEM for GM:

https://www.amazon.com/MAHLE-Original-MS16167P-Engine-Manifold/dp/B006E0MS8M

This Fel-Pro Perma Dry set is good, too: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-ms98000t?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-fel-pro&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8o-v6vKY4gIVE6vsCh0NrAK1EAQYBCABEgLagPD_BwE

Gerry
For what it's worth, I made "alignment pins" out of cheap bolts (that matched the intake bolt threads) with the heads cut off. That way you can get the gaskets all set and drop the intake down with the pins guiding it in place. Makes it super easy.

Registered
For what it's worth, I made "alignment pins" out of cheap bolts (that matched the intake bolt threads) with the heads cut off. That way you can get the gaskets all set and drop the intake down with the pins guiding it in place. Makes it super easy.
Great idea!

Gerry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts