Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any ideas on how to make this volvo fan fit in my car. I would like a DIY project more than paying a shop to make one.

·
6,502 Posts
Do you, or have you, or do you want to make one out of fiberglass ?. It would take fiberglass materials as well as using some double knit material, some plywood, a jig saw, a stapler, and some other things but basically you would make a rectangular plug out of wood to fit up against the backside of the radiator core. You then would need to make another wood plug out of plywood that would mimic the fan and be made to where you later would have a surface to mount the fan to.

You would then use spacers between the two and then either have both surfaces parallel to each other or on an angle so things will fit.

You then tape the top and edge of the fan plug with tape as well as the other plug so that once double knit material is stretched over this framework and fiberglass resin is saturated into the cloth, the cloth with the resin will not stick together.

Now once the surfaces are covered with tape, spray some PAM cooking spray onto the topside where the cloth will later be so that later you can get things more easily apart.

Now take some double knit material (old T shirt type material) and wrap the things stretching it somewhat taut and then staple it to the underside on the rectangular plug.

Now mix up some resin and brush on just enough to wet the material and the let it sit and cure.

Now mix up a second batch of resin and apply it. You will use less as the step before getting the material wet and now with the first coat hardened it will not have the cloth porous any more so it cannot soak in.

Now let this coat dry and cool to where now the cloth has some rigidity but not a ton.

Now sand off the pulled over lip on the backside of the rectangular wood panel and carefully pull out the wood plugs and spacers.

Now you should have a shroud but it won't be real thick so now from the inside you can add fiberglass matting and more resin to soak it and attach this to the shroud. Do at least two layers and then let it harden and cool and see if it's strong enough for you. If it's not mix up and add yet another two layers of matting and resin.

Eventually you will get to a point of having a shroud that goes from a rectangular opening (backside of the radiator) and transition to a round fan. You just have to come up with a way to secure things together.

A basic drawing of making a shroud:

Look around at some of the car stereo sites and they should have things on making items out of fiberglass and methods to make a framework and ways to keep things from sticking together.

You first attempt may or may not turn out but if you have to make a second one, you will learn a lot from the first and prior ones.

Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you, or have you, or do you want to make one out of fiberglass ?. It would take fiberglass materials as well as using some double knit material, some plywood, a jig saw, a stapler, and some other things but basically you would make a rectangular plug out of wood to fit up against the backside of the radiator core. You then would need to make another wood plug out of plywood that would mimic the fan and be made to where you later would have a surface to mount the fan to.

You would then use spacers between the two and then either have both surfaces parallel to each other or on an angle so things will fit.

You then tape the top and edge of the fan plug with tape as well as the other plug so that once double knit material is stretched over this framework and fiberglass resin is saturated into the cloth, the cloth with the resin will not stick together.

Now once the surfaces are covered with tape, spray some PAM cooking spray onto the topside where the cloth will later be so that later you can get things more easily apart.

Now take some double knit material (old T shirt type material) and wrap the things stretching it somewhat taut and then staple it to the underside on the rectangular plug.

Now mix up some resin and brush on just enough to wet the material and the let it sit and cure.

Now mix up a second batch of resin and apply it. You will use less as the step before getting the material wet and now with the first coat hardened it will not have the cloth porous any more so it cannot soak in.

Now let this coat dry and cool to where now the cloth has some rigidity but not a ton.

Now sand off the pulled over lip on the backside of the rectangular wood panel and carefully pull out the wood plugs and spacers.

Now you should have a shroud but it won't be real thick so now from the inside you can add fiberglass matting and more resin to soak it and attach this to the shroud. Do at least two layers and then let it harden and cool and see if it's strong enough for you. If it's not mix up and add yet another two layers of matting and resin.

Eventually you will get to a point of having a shroud that goes from a rectangular opening (backside of the radiator) and transition to a round fan. You just have to come up with a way to secure things together.

A basic drawing of making a shroud:

Look around at some of the car stereo sites and they should have things on making items out of fiberglass and methods to make a framework and ways to keep things from sticking together.

You first attempt may or may not turn out but if you have to make a second one, you will learn a lot from the first and prior ones.

Jim
Jim thanks that's a super idea. I'm looking into a short metal and a wood makeshift break.
I also saw some guy with a jeep used a cookie tray.
Now I'll start looking to the fiberglass frame!
I was hoping to cut up the factory volvo. That looks like it's a "no". I might go and get the s40 fan it's in a slim shroud that is a bit wider
Next will be how to mount the sensor. I ordered a tap on Amazon. I have a brass plug but , the hole in my manifold is under the thermostat neck. From looking at another manifold this hole is only blocked on the l31 manifold. Standard ABC it would not be blocked.
I am torn between buying a hose adapter then drilling it or just drill and tap the intake manifold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts