Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #61
My uncle has a '72 SS with a factory 4-speed. I'll be seeing him in the near future, and can take a peek under the dash for a photograph.
Thanks, I haven't found any info saying they had any, so don't be suprised if there isn't any. 馃憤

Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
As I mentioned B4 there should be a rubber block for the clutch pedal to rest against,
AS your car w3as converted, you may not have it. see it here as "clutch"

I'm not 100% on your BBC but My SBC the clutch return spring goes to the subframe, mine has an extension link. ,. there are a couple holes made into the frame for this. Its the straightest path, unless headers are in the way.

Note: the clutches were known to stay disengaged, on the floor when shifting hard and fast. Old school racers used to tie or strap thier left foot to the pedal to ensure it would engage when they lifted their foot.

Registered
Here's the clutch pedal "Rubber Bumper" - under u'r dash - that 'Rupert' was talking about .
This IS the one that I had too buy & install (my 69 was a stock p/g car) . . .

This is a Camaro site - - but has really good "catalog" pictures and list 'Factory part numbers' ;
good for making sure you get the correct parts (really good parts descriptions) .
Plus, I have bought parts from them = good service = and, I have "returned parts - with good results" .

and, Thank you for posting up your Part Numbers , could very well help someone down th' road . . . .
plus all your install pictures .

On my "return spring" - - - mine is attached to my sub-frame "hole" , under or near my motor mount , (a six cyl car) , hole may be there .
using the ' long rod and flat link ' . . . My inside clutch pedal DID - NOT have any spring .

for = SBC = "rod"

'spring plate'

just some ideas . . . . . jim

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Thanks Jim and Rupert.

I do have the rubber stopper, and the because of headers I can't attach to the exhaust manifold with the extension bracket and spring, and the SBC variant with rod and spring won't work either.

I have been playing with the stainless steel band clamps on the header tube in the front of the clutch fork. I should get it to work, tried shortening the spring, to get some pre tension, as the new mounting location is closer to the clutch fork, so I am not getting enough force to really pull the fork + linkage to pull it all the way back to the rubber stopper, if that makes sense. I really need a spring with same travel, but higher force. It is just a matter of trial and error.

Registered
kinda why we hang-out here . . . . learning new thing everyday . Keep going - it'll work .

jim

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #66
#2 Installation of buckets seats

I found some time to tack in the seat brackets to the floor and mock up some adapters/spacers for my Cobra buckets.

Here I am just double checking fitment, so I can then burn in the brackets for good. Also waiting for the second seat.

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #67
All welded in, and I also patched up some random holes in the floor from probably previous attempts to bolt in bucket seats. Ugh patching up holes is something I need to practice more, so tedious with old sheetmetal.

Just waiting for the second bucket seat.

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #68
#1 Clutch Geometry is not correct, causing out of adjustment for throwout bearing

I used two stock bbc clutch return springs and cut them down until I got the write preload and pull on my clutch fork, I used two band clamps on the header to attach the springs. Running two I get the clutch fork to pull straight back and also I don't need to cut the spring further (really should have higher spring rate springs).

I managed to wrestled the transmission back on my own last night. Its always somewhat sketchy doing that on the garage floor and car on jackstands, you feel it the next day. Taking the car out for a test drive this weekend.

Below is a shot of the setup.

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #69
I made up some simple adapter for the seat rails to the floor, and some more time with my TIG (I am a total beginner)

Registered
I'm jealous, I'd love to have a TIG. My dad has a MIG but I'd love to have a TIG machine to practice on. I've played with one a little at work welding aluminum and it's definitely a challenge but addicting.

Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
I made up some simple adapter for the seat rails to the floor, and some more time with my TIG (I am a total beginner)

Im curious to see how your seat height comes out. What kind of head clearance do you have with your setup.

Registered
Looking good , and I like those seats .

jim

PS =
would you have any kind of " ATV " jack . . . .
. . . . . I modified my ATV jack into a tranny jack & worked 'really good' .
. . . . . I've had that jack for a long time - - - and never used it .

Reactions: Magnus

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #73
I'm jealous, I'd love to have a TIG. My dad has a MIG but I'd love to have a TIG machine to practice on. I've played with one a little at work welding aluminum and it's definitely a challenge but addicting.
Yeah I've always want to get into TIG, fabrication small stuff and fixing random broken stuff (cars, bikes etc). I went for a non name brand one. Weldpro TIG 200 amp AC/DC, dual voltage , so far so good.

Im curious to see how your seat height comes out. What kind of head clearance do you have with your setup.
I mocked it up before committing and I am definitely sitting lower than on that old bench seat. If you want any measurements let me know. I'm 5'11", plenty of head space.

Looking good , and I like those seats .

jim

PS =
would you have any kind of " ATV " jack . . . .
. . . . . I modified my ATV jack into a tranny jack & worked 'really good' .
. . . . . I've had that jack for a long time - - - and never used it .

Thank you Jim.

Yeah I can totally see the ATV jack being used like that. I did something similar. I strapped a plywood sheet under the tranny to have it sit level and then lifted it on a jack under the car, then slowly jacking it up and guiding it in. I don't have the luxury of a big garage like yours. My solution is way more sketchy. 馃槻

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #74
I am getting rid of my old bench seat, its in really nice condition (frame is solid, and cover is probably original, or replaced a long time ago, headrests seem to have been dyed black from blue, could use a little touch up)

What are these worth?

DM if interested.

Registered
69 Nova, 454 BBC, TKO
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
#1 Clutch Geometry is not correct, causing out of adjustment for throwout bearing
I took the car out for a 30 mile test drive and it seems to be working, listened with a stethoscope on the clutch/gearbox and I don't hear any odd noise indicating that the throwout bearing is touching the fingers, and shifting is smooth while driving and the classic 1st - Reverse shift in idle, which is hard if the input shaft is energized, is fine.

The whole clutch feel is improved and feels tighter. Biggest contribution factor probably was the not so great return spring setup, but it feels good knowing everything checks out from engine output shaft up to clutch pedal.

Got the second seat in, just need to fully weld the brackets, but I am gonna call this one done. Will post a nice photo later of the end result.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts