Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm not associated with this company in any way, but I just picked up a set of their LED headlights (VC3500), and I'm really impressed with the quality and, more importantly, how bright they are.

I always liked the idea of LED lights due to their efficiency, but all the ones I had seen looked super junky or had way too many internal lenses and looked like they were designed for reality TV Harley builds. :puke:

But these are made with glass and don't look like LEDs (they look almost like stock sealed beam lenses).

And driving at night (the whole reason for this upgrade) is pretty impressive. It's hard to quantify the difference, but I'd say these are at least twice as bright as the premium Sylvanias I was running before. I'd say it's now comparable to the light of any modern car.

I will mention that the one upgrade to the Nova I have not done is the headlight relay upgrade, but these LEDs now only pull 20W each compared to the original 55W each.

Anyway, we complain a good bit about products that don't meet expectations so I figured I'd post a pretty good review.

These are not cheap, but I think if you're planning on doing night driving (like I do) then it may be a worthwhile upgrade: https://vintagecarleds.com

They install into the existing wiring. You just tuck the extra wire behind the headlight retainer.

I got the VC3500 models, but they all look like stock headlights once installed.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
A Good review --- and --- looks stock.

good info , thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, we are very glad you are happy with them. We are a small famliy owned company and it makes us really happy to hear that our lights are making you car safer!

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
i am not really good at accepting new thing(s) on older vehicle(s) BUT this is something I WILL have too look into

i always had a hard time seeing at night with the vintage system but this would be a plus in my book :thumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Looking really nice !
How's the angle of the light on the road and aside the road?
Over here sealed beams are forbidden so I usually put H4 headlights in....but this is definitely an option.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I too will be looking into these!

Mark

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow, I'm going to have to check these out, I love the brighter lights VS the older style bulb light. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looking really nice !
How's the angle of the light on the road and aside the road?
Over here sealed beams are forbidden so I usually put H4 headlights in....but this is definitely an option.
The lighting pattern / spread on the road isn't as perfect as you'd find on a brand new car (where the manufacturer dumped tons of money into R&D to make sure it'd pass every country's safety codes), but it is a HUGE improvement over the standard lights I had in. Overall, I'm impressed with how good it is considering it's still just a light source inside a round 7" dome. I'd say it's probably now 85-90% as good as a modern car (and it was no where close to that before).

I did spend a good amount of time adjusting these to make sure they were aligned and hit the road level. I had to replace all the adjustment screws anyway as mine were original and shot.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nice LEDs. Those look sharp and look original when turned off. Be really cool if they had a bulb that supported some sort of Daytime Running Light. From a safety perspective, old cars are dim 360 degrees compared to modern cars that other drivers are used to watching out for. So having a DRL function...basically run the bulbs at 25-40% all the time when the car is running. Be a little more wiring, but most vintage car owners have no problem dealing with that...
Anyway...great find!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, we are very glad you are happy with them. We are a small famliy owned company and it makes us really happy to hear that our lights are making you car safer!
A lot of times older GM owners will add a relay to headlight circuit to take the load off the headlight dimmer switch. Will your system work if a relay has been added?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot of times older GM owners will add a relay to headlight circuit to take the load off the headlight dimmer switch. Will your system work if a relay has been added?
These lights plug into the same plug as the original lights so they'll work fine with or without the relay upgrade.

But since these LEDs use about 60% less power, they are definitely a plus for those of us who haven't switched to relays (and help lower the load on the old electrical and dimmer switch).

·
Registered
344 Posts
The lighting pattern / spread on the road isn't as perfect as you'd find on a brand new car (where the manufacturer dumped tons of money into R&D to make sure it'd pass every country's safety codes), but it is a HUGE improvement over the standard lights I had in. Overall, I'm impressed with how good it is considering it's still just a light source inside a round 7" dome. I'd say it's probably now 85-90% as good as a modern car (and it was no where close to that before).

I did spend a good amount of time adjusting these to make sure they were aligned and hit the road level. I had to replace all the adjustment screws anyway as mine were original and shot.
That's cool! Adjusting the headlights after they where out completely is always hard to do at home. In the garage they usually have some sort of reflector to put in front of the light which makes it a lot easier.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts