Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you guys ever installed a Vintage Air unit in your car? I have mine almost complete, but when I connect the main power and ground, the fan comes on. Even with the controls unplugged from the unit, it still comes on. I called Vintage and their phone loop is one of the worst in the world, if you need help. I emailed them and am waiting on a response, but thought I would ask here also. Their instructions are somewhat lacking, as far as wiring goes.

edit, I got a reply from Vintage quicker than expected. There is a ground wire that is supposed to be for grounding the compressor, which is obviously grounded through the mounting brackets. That extra ground has to go to the battery and then both grounds MUST be connected before the power is connected. If not, the unit goes into default and the fan comes on high speed automatically.

I'll try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
928 Posts
you have two white wires that go to negative. are you controlling it with cables from your heater control or the electronic sticks ( dont know what else to call them ).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vintage air units are electronic. You can't control this one with cables at all. I have the retrofit kit that changes my original controls to electronic. I went back to the garage late this afternoon and connected the two grounds wires first, then the power wire. The tech was right. The unit clicked and then it was normal. A good thing for people to know. DON'T connect the power wire first. It will go into default and the fan will come on, high speed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts