Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to figure out which vintage air setup I need for my 64 hardtop, and thought that I would ask what some of the other guys are running in their cars (brackets as well).

I also had some questions about the front runner bracket system (I was looking at the 175010-SCA setup).

Can I run a fan off of the pulley or do I have to go with an electric fan.

Where is the best place to get a combo price with a system and a front runner bracket system? Look forward to hearing back.
Thank you,
Bruce

·
Registered
20 Posts
You should be able to use either a Gen II Compac or the new Gen IV Magnum (prefered). I know someone on here has installed the Magnum in his 1st gen Nova and has posted pictures but i cant think of his name @ this moment. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

The Front Runner uses a reverse rotation water pump so you would need to use a reverse rotation engine driven fan (available from VA) or an electric fan. Most people use electric but it is your choice - pros and cons both ways.

VA offers a plastic mock up case that you can purchase to see what will fit and will give you full credit when you return it and purchase an evaporator. The dimensions of each unit are listed in the catalog (available on-line) if you want to some basic measuring before you order the mock up to make sure.

If you get the idea that know a little about this subject, I do - I have worked for VA for 12 years and am their "Tech Support Dept" and help the Sales Dept. also.

I do have a 63 Nova SS but I just purchased it and havent started fitting anything yet but know it has been done.

If you (or anyone) has a question or two, feel free to call me during the week @ 1.800.862.6658 ext.111 and I will try and help in anyway I can.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
NIce to see a VA rep here. I'm getting ready to make my purchase also. The member I think you are talking about is Rich, he is the owner of Southcoastrides down in Texas and did a Gen IV magnum install in his 63 vert quite a few years back. He mentioned the sure-fit works good, but that the Magnum series cools so much better.

Was going to mention to call VA and ask them, but since we have Mark here, there you go. I have talked to VA tech numerous times and all the guys provide great tech support, thumbs up.

I've also heard from a certain installer that of all the companies that he's used VA is the best. Just saying. :yes:

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yea, So Coast Rides is who I was thinking of....they are a VA dealer and may be able to give a discount??? Dosn't cost anything to ask - you can purchase directly from VA but we only sell @ retail price + freight ($70-80 for a complete kit) - we don't want to undercut the dealer as they are trying to make a living also.

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've also heard from a certain installer that of all the companies that he's used VA is the best. Just saying.
We (VA) do not normally talk about the "other guys" and prefer to state why the all electric systems are designed to work and perform better than our old vacuum operated design, but most of the time their systems are our best salesman.

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We (VA) do not normally talk about the "other guys" and prefer to state why the all electric systems are designed to work and perform better than our old vacuum operated design, but most of the time their systems are our best salesman.

Mark

So what are the pros and cons as you see it between fan on the water pump or the electric fan?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Electric fan pros and cons - my opinion

Engine driven fan -
Pro:
Dependable - no electric motor or wiring to fail; a good steel 5-6 blade fan w/shroud pulls a lot of air even @ low speed.

Con:
Noisey, not needed @ highway speed; huge HP draw on engine.

Electric Fan -
Pro:
Off when not needed on when needed when wired properly (use of temp & AC pressure sensors); less draw on engine power; cleaner look on most applications; modern fans are very dependable with good CFM ratings.

Con:
If not wired properly, fan can fail or wear out from over use; wire connections, relays can fail; some fans don't live up to the manufactures CFM ratings; can be loud when running.

I'm sure I missed a few points. When I started @ VA, I was a big engine fan with shroud supporter but have changed my mind over the years seeing how reliable the electric fans are when used properly.

Again,just my opinions.....like they say, everyone has one :)

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What kind of electric fan would I need for a 4 core copper radiator on my 64 chevy II? and where is the temp sensor located?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fan choice will depend on the size of the radiator core (H x W) and how much room you have between the engine/water pump and the radiator. Pullers are normally recommended for a primary fan - pushers for a secondary fan.

There are several types of sensors - some are set point switches the come on at a pre-set temp and normally screw into the intake or head; some are adjustable and the sensor will be in the drain of the radiator and you can dial in the temp you want it to come on; and some slip onto the radiator core/fins and get the surface temp of the radiator (personally don't recommend). Again it is person choice which switch you use, I'm using the adjustable switch in the drain of the radiator in my 65CPU and has worked perfect for the past 2.5 years and I drive it alot.

The biggest thing with an electric fan is using switchs for the engine and AC, make good electrical connections and wire them through a relay. Don't wire the fan to run all the time - it isn't needed and you will go through a lot of electric fans for no reason - waste of money.

Mark

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am wanting to get an A/C kit for my 63 Chevy II wagon and need something that will cool this car fairly well since there is a lot of interior space. I plan to use this car as a daily driver and need everything from pullies to the hoses, controls, etc. Any idea of an estimated price I am going to be looking at when buying one of the Magnum kits with the nicer billet controls and plain compressor (non polished)?

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
I am wanting to get an A/C kit for my 63 Chevy II wagon and need something that will cool this car fairly well since there is a lot of interior space. I plan to use this car as a daily driver and need everything from pullies to the hoses, controls, etc. Any idea of an estimated price I am going to be looking at when buying one of the Magnum kits with the nicer billet controls and plain compressor (non polished)?
A Gen IV kit is going to run about 1500 bucks, according to the dealers I have spoken to.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I have put in a few Vintage Air Sure Fit systems in they fit & worked good. This time I got a Gen II Compac just the box & controls . I mounted it in the middle of the dash . It should be working in a week or so . I will post on how it works with a stock GM compressor .

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am still trying to figure out the best kit for my 63 wagon but cannot decide. I do NOT want to cut my stock dash, I'd like to keep the vents under it or if I do have to cut the stock dash, I like the round chrome vents on the ends only. I am trying to price an entire kit up though but cannot do so because it seems that there is not just one kit for the 63's with every single thing from the lines to the brackets, etc etc. So do you think with EVERY part including engine, and interior brackets, compressor, dryer, evaporator, electric fan conversion, etc I can get it all for around $1500? I dont want polished or chromed compressor, etc. Just plain black that I will paint the same color as the car and the knobs inside I would prefer billet or chrome but again, if that will not make it in the $1500 budget then cheap plastic looking ones will work.

Thanks a lot for any more info here guys!

·
Registered
396 Posts
64 Vintage Air

With 4 billet vents, a 4 hole bulkhead fitting and hose kits, std finish compressor, 14x22 condensor, bracket kit (ac comp & alt) for early heads, drier, trinary switch,polished horizontal controls........$1822.00 plus Curt waives freight.

I didn't want to cut the dash but the 3 knob control looks close enough to the original size I'm a cuttin'. I am also making a valence that has the 4vents in it under the dash. I'll try and take some pictures after I get the vents.

I also got the mock up box, highly recommend it. If Mark is on the thread, it would help if they had the plumbing mocked up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys....ya'll are in the ball park as far as the price goes, just depends on how fancy or basic you want to go. You don't need to cut the dash if you don't want too - we offer a double round under the dash pod that you can install the Gen II 4 knob inline or the Gen IV 3 knob inline control panel into or look @ part #492000-VUA @ the bottom of catalog page 31 on our web site.

If you want, call our Sales Dept @ 1.800.862.6658 (or me @ ext.111), and they can help you piece a system together for you to get a retail $$ then shop around to our dealers and see who gives you the best deal.

Novaconv63 - what do you suggest to make our mock up better? On a universal, everyone has their own idea on how/where to run the lines....but we are open for suggestions!!

Mark

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I am still trying to figure out the best kit for my 63 wagon but cannot decide. I do NOT want to cut my stock dash, I'd like to keep the vents under it or if I do have to cut the stock dash, I like the round chrome vents on the ends only. I am trying to price an entire kit up though but cannot do so because it seems that there is not just one kit for the 63's with every single thing from the lines to the brackets, etc etc. So do you think with EVERY part including engine, and interior brackets, compressor, dryer, evaporator, electric fan conversion, etc I can get it all for around $1500? I dont want polished or chromed compressor, etc. Just plain black that I will paint the same color as the car and the knobs inside I would prefer billet or chrome but again, if that will not make it in the $1500 budget then cheap plastic looking ones will work.

Thanks a lot for any more info here guys!
Shawn,

I think we can keep you within your budget, and not cut the dash. Use under dash pod and vents as Mark stated, with the 3 knob billet control panel. The only question I have is you stated, "electric fan conversion". I can include the trinary switch to key your electric fans if that's what you were referring to. The system would not come with electric fans however. FYI, you'll need to supply your own heater hose, and compressor v-belt, and any pulleys you may need if you're not already set up.

Rich

1 - 20 of 24 Posts