Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Will the vin # in a 69 nova tell you if its a true ss?
There is two sites out there that says you can & a couple of sites that say no way?
They are saying the second & third #s determine if its a ss or not
I'm looking at buying a 69, need the truth here
thanks
appreciate any help
thanks
Brian

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
for a 69 --- No ---

you can look at VIN #'s here : https://www.novaresource.org/

(just above this is a "Sticky : Web Link Library" .... alot of info there
(some, may not still be active)

.... jim

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
look here -- watch Scott's vid ---

·
Registered
374 Posts
The vin of a 69 will not tell you if it is an SS.
Without a build sheet you have no proof other than certain things to look for on the car that SS's had other models did not.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The only start to say a car is a SS is the first 3 digits of the VIN... To make it simple, the VIN must start with "114", meaning a V8 car. "113" is a 6 cylinder car... Other than that, no true way to identify a SS...

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
well its a 114 car it has front disc brakes & its a 12 bolt rear end!
thanks
Guys
and .... it's a 50 year old-car ..... NOT KNOCKING It -------- That's a long-time ..... anything could-of-been-changed ..... or added.

(please don't take this th' wrong way --- Mine's also a 69).

(my cowl tag is : 114 ..... my Vin # is 113279W

later ... jim

·
13,690 Posts
The only start to say a car is a SS is the first 3 digits of the VIN... To make it simple, the VIN must start with "114", meaning a V8 car. "113" is a 6 cylinder car... Other than that, no true way to identify a SS...
Yes, you're correct that an SS has to be a V/8 and will have a 114 VIN, but fewer than 15% of 114 coupes were super sports. According to Novaresource.org, 70,637 V/8 2 door Nova coupes were built in 1969. Of those, only 10,356 were super sports (including the big blocks). In addition, there are hundreds of regular 114 coupes that have been turned into SS clones and some of them are very well done. Also confusing the search is that regular 114 cars could be ordered with many of the features that came on the SS like power disc brakes, HD suspension, dual exhaust, etc.

If a 1969 114 coupe has an original 350 CID engine, check the partial VIN and suffix code on the engine pad. If the partial VIN matches the VIN of the car, check the suffix code for the last 2 letters (application code). There were two 350 CID engines, 250 HP and 300 HP. The 300 HP engine was SS only and will have one of several SS application codes, but most likely HA or HB.

Bob

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Hello
Will the vin # in a 69 nova tell you if its a true ss?
There is two sites out there that says you can & a couple of sites that say no way?
They are saying the second & third #s determine if its a ss or not
I'm looking at buying a 69, need the truth here
thanks
appreciate any help
thanks
Brian
If there is no paper work or no original engine consider it a clone, because even here on this site members won’t believe a real SS without documents. I own an undocumented 1969 L78 Nova and a documented 1969 L78 Nova, the documented one will out sell my undocumented one all day long. I have never met anyone who can disprove my undocumented car as well as I can prove it’s a real SS. The 1969 SS has some secrets with parts that were specific to the SS model only and they are not reproduced, BB cars are even easier to prove real if the original parts still exist. 99.9% the parts are still there too.
Bottom line IMO is by a documented car if you want an SS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts