Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked by someone else however I am trying to determine why the sequence# for the VIN and Cowl don’t match up for a car I am looking at purchasing. I will make up some #’s so as not to list actual info. VIN says 118377w106632 but cowl tag has 67-11837 WRN 829. It is certainly only three digits on the cowl tag and the 829 doesn’t match the last digits in the VIN like I thought they were supposed to. Are they supposed to match? Should I be concerned? Have others seen this same issue?

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
The VIN tag will show you the sequence number for the vehicle. It is accurate to the vehicle if it hasn't been changed. The cowl tag won't be accurate for any sequence number, but will have a date.

Nova Resource will help you decode all your info.

·
13,812 Posts
The info you are referring to won't match on your cowl and VIN tags. The cowl tag is stamped by Fisher Body early in the build process and the number is their body sequence number. The VIN is assigned after the car goes to Chevrolet and, for the numbers you have stated, would be the 6,632nd car built in that model year. The cowl tag has no legal status. The VIN is the legal authority.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to all for the answer to my question. I had looked at the novaresource page about decoding VIN and cowl tag however I had seen another post that suggested they should match which didn’t sync up with what I read or was told over the years but wanted to make darn sure. I do have an issue with the novaresource page on decoding the cowl tag since it states that the sequence# starts with 1****** however this vehicle is only 3 digits.

·
13,812 Posts
Thanks to all for the answer to my question. I had looked at the novaresource page about decoding VIN and cowl tag however I had seen another post that suggested they should match which didn’t sync up with what I read or was told over the years but wanted to make darn sure. I do have an issue with the novaresource page on decoding the cowl tag since it states that the sequence# starts with 1****** however this vehicle is only 3 digits.
Yes, the information that cowl tag Body Build sequence codes all begin with '1' is not correct. However, the last 6 digits on the VIN tag (vehicle production number) will begin with '1' on Chevy IIs through 1967. As an example, the first car of the model year off the line would be 100,001.

Bob

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thought I would throw my 2 cents in on this. The VIN and the Cowl tag do have to match. Just not how you are probably thinking they would match though. The Cowl Tag Sequence number, the The Cowl Tag Build date, and the VIN tag all should match time wise. Other words, if you were to give me one of the three pieces of data, I could tell you pretty closely what the other two should be. And if you gave me two of the pieces of data, I could get you real real close as to what the 3rd missing one should be. the point is that the three pieces of data are not just random numbers. The values of the 3 pieces of data are all closely related.

Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vin tag

The 1 that the numerical sequence number starts with is Chevrolet not just Nova, all brands (ie Buick Oldsmobile etc.) had a different number that started the numerical sequence number.

·
13,812 Posts
The 1 that the numerical sequence number starts with is Chevrolet not just Nova, all brands (ie Buick Oldsmobile etc.) had a different number that started the numerical sequence number.
I don't think this is quite correct. In 1967, the production sequence number portion of the VIN (last 6 digits) for all Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Buicks, etc. began with a '1'. The brand designator was the first digit of the VIN. For Chevrolets this was a '1'. For example 11837 breaks down to '1' Chevrolet, '18' Nova SS V/8, '37' 2 door hardtop. This is followed by '7' for 1967, the build plant abbreviation, then the 6 digit production sequence number starting with '1'.

For 1967 Pontiacs the brand designator at the beginning of the VIN was '2', for Buicks '4', etc. The VIN production sequence numbers (last 6 digits) all began with '1'.

The information above is for cars built in the U.S.A.

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
VIN tag

My bad, the numerical sequence for GM cars built after 1964 begin with a 1, cars built prior to 1965 the first digit of the VIN was the model year followed by the body style and cars built after 1964 the first digit was the brand. I knew Chevrolet was a 1 and figured the 1 that starts the numerical number stood for Chevrolet.

·
13,812 Posts
My bad, the numerical sequence for GM cars built after 1964 begin with a 1, cars built prior to 1965 the first digit of the VIN was the model year followed by the body style and cars built after 1964 the first digit was the brand. I knew Chevrolet was a 1 and figured the 1 that starts the numerical number stood for Chevrolet.
Don't feel bad. This stuff changed frequently. To confuse it even more, the same cars built in Canada had a different VIN format. There were only 5 digits in the sequence number (it started at '0') resulting in a 12 digit VIN. It was changed to 13 in 1967.

Bob

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
At a very high level, if the VIN and Trim Tag numbers do match - run!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts