Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm thinking of replacing the upper dash due to some rust my concern is the vin tag can I remove it from the old and install it on the new and how is that done

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Yea you can. Here is a link to the proper rivots.

·
13,679 Posts
Just for clarification, the OP is wanting info on the dash top VIN plate. The above rivets are for attaching cowl tags.

Below is a picture of the dash top VIN plate/bracket assembly which is installed from under the dash. The VIN is on the raised portion of the bracket which protrudes up through the slot in the dash top. It is held to the dash top by 2 rivets, the heads of which are covered by the padded dash cover. These rivets can be drilled out allowing the VIN plate to drop. I understand these rivets are very hard to get to with the dash in the car. It's suggested it be done after the dash is out of the vehicle and the re-install be done before the dash is put back in. I don't think the re-install requires any specific type of rivet, as they can't be seen under the dash pad.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
3rd gen
and, I think what Bob is saying " by removing the Dash" - - - He's talking = the dash " Pad " .
( the 'metal dash' IS welded into the car . YOU get too those " tag rivets "
….. by removing the " Dash Pad " ) .

thanks , Bob .

Just DO - NOT " Change VIN NUMBERS " = = = = that IS illegal ! !

·
13,679 Posts
No matter how you do it, it's difficult to remove this bracket. The slope of the windshield makes it hard from the top and getting at them from underneath is a nightmare. Just repeating what was said by someone who did it. I'm looking for another article where the welded in dash was actually removed.

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for clarification, the OP is wanting info on the dash top VIN plate. The above rivets are for attaching cowl tags.

Below is a picture of the dash top VIN plate/bracket assembly which is installed from under the dash. The VIN is on the raised portion of the bracket which protrudes up through the slot in the dash top. It is held to the dash top by 2 rivets, the heads of which are covered by the padded dash cover. These rivets can be drilled out allowing the VIN plate to drop. I understand these rivets are very hard to get to with the dash in the car. It's suggested it be done after the dash is out of the vehicle and the re-install be done before the dash is put back in. I don't think the re-install requires any specific type of rivet, as they can't be seen under the dash pad.

Bob
Thanks that helps a lot I will be removing the upper dash

Bob
[/QUOTE
3rd gen
and, I think what Bob is saying " by removing the Dash" - - - He's talking = the dash " Pad " .
( the 'metal dash' IS welded into the car . YOU get too those " tag rivets "
….. by removing the " Dash Pad " ) .

thanks , Bob .

Just DO - NOT " Change VIN NUMBERS " = = = = that IS illegal ! !
Got it thanks all for the info

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear I need to replace the upper dash and I didn't know if the VIN tag was attached to the upper dash . So thanks for the education on this matter I know now I don't have to touch the vin tag .

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Yes, but if he is replacing the metal upper dash, the windshield will be out. So getting to those rivers is pretty easy. If you want them to be correct, look on ebay for rosette rivets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts