Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, i've one question about the vin plate (located under the windshield on dive side) and cowl tag located on the firewall into engine compartment of chevy nova 1971.

The numbers, Must be the same?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Hi to all, i've one question about the vin plate (located under the windshield on dive side) and cowl tag located on the firewall into engine compartment of chevy nova 1971.

No, one was for Fischer (trim tag) and the other for the DMV (VIN). The VIN on the dash is the important one from a legal stand point. The trim tag on the firewall can help break down some of the options the car was equipped with from the factory.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Nope.

The body sequence number (cowl tag) doesn't need to match the VIN.
They usually don't.

The number on the cowl tag was used by Fisher for internal tracking.
The VIN was assigned separately.

·
13,707 Posts

Not all of them. The model number will be the same...11327 (six cylinder) or 11427 (8 cylinder). The number following on the cowl tag is the Fisher body build sequence number. On the VIN, the last numbers will be the production sequence number assigned by Chevrolet. It will be a different number from the one on the cowl tag. Cowl tags were stamped at Fisher Body very early in the build process. The VIN was assigned later after the car was sent to the Chevrolet assembly line for completion.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Not all of them. The model number will be the same...11327 (six cylinder) or 11427 (8 cylinder). The number following on the cowl tag is the Fisher body build sequence number. On the VIN, the last numbers will be the production sequence number assigned by Chevrolet. It will be a different number from the one on the cowl tag. Cowl tags were stamped at Fisher Body very early in the build process. The VIN was assigned later after the car was sent to the Chevrolet assembly line for completion.

Bob
with the vin on top of the dash,it had to go in prior to the glass, the glass was put in at fisher plants.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Bob
Thank you to all for all reply!

The model number is the same (11427) but the serial number not...but, if i understand, there are not problem.

Below the pictures of my car B0EC8943-CA1B-46F0-8A45-F97169D833EA_1546766213431.jpg B0EC8943-CA1B-46F0-8A45-F97169D833EA_1546766213431.jpg B0EC8943-CA1B-46F0-8A45-F97169D833EA_1546766213431.jpg

Attachments

·
13,707 Posts
with the vin on top of the dash,it had to go in prior to the glass, the glass was put in at fisher plants.
The VIN plates were part of a bracket installed with special rivets from underneath the dash, not from the top. The rivets are covered by the dash pad.

The model number is the same (11427) but the serial number not...but, if i understand
You understand correctly. The last numbers on the VIN plate will not match the numbers on the cowl tag.

Bob

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
i have to ask, how did this nova find its way to italy ? it has to be a challenge driving some of those narrow streets in italy.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts

go to NovaResource.org ... they break down all that info

for examlpe : my Nova -- 113279W551162

1 == GM - Chevrolet Division
13 == 6 cylinder engine ........... (14 = V8 engine)
27 == body style (27 is for 2 door model)
9 == is the year model .. 1969
W == production plant .. Willow Run, GM Plant

551162 == Chevrolet #

551162 is stamped on my engine, and original p/g trans.

THIS is NOT the Same number stamped on my 'cowl tag' vin # ..... My Cowl Tag Vin # is : 11427WRN482639 (not even close , for the last part).
that was stamped by "Fisher Body" , which was part of GM (later on), they were the body building plant of GM -- not the assembly - line part.

BUT --- the other numbers stamped on your cowl - tag -- may match your car : Trim # , PNT #'s , ACC #'s , Build date # , ect.
So, those other numbers DO MEAN something to your Nova.

NovaResource.org ... explains all this for each year of Novas

WELCOME TO SNS

from Chino Valley , Arizona .. USA

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I would think the windshield would be one of the very last things to be installed at the GM assembly plant!
the vin had to be put on in thr trim dept. was put on berfore the dash pad,to hide the rivets, then the glass then to water test then the rest of the trim vins were put on at fisher body plant

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
go to NovaResource.org ... they break down all that info

for examlpe : my Nova -- 113279W551162

1 == GM - Chevrolet Division
13 == 6 cylinder engine ........... (14 = V8 engine)
27 == body style (27 is for 2 door model)
9 == is the year model .. 1969
W == production plant .. Willow Run, GM Plant

551162 == Chevrolet #

551162 is stamped on my engine, and original p/g trans.

THIS is NOT the Same number stamped on my 'cowl tag' vin # ..... My Cowl Tag Vin # is : 11427WRN482639 (not even close , for the last part).
that was stamped by "Fisher Body" , which was part of GM (later on), they were the body building plant of GM -- not the assembly - line part.

BUT --- the other numbers stamped on your cowl - tag -- may match your car : Trim # , PNT #'s , ACC #'s , Build date # , ect.
So, those other numbers DO MEAN something to your Nova.

NovaResource.org ... explains all this for each year of Novas

WELCOME TO SNS

from Chino Valley , Arizona .. USA
Thank you very much for your explanation!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
These two numbers should 'never' match!! If they do, it is pure coincidence and statistically improbable.

The VIN plate can most definitely be installed after glass and dash pad, but probably needs to be in before the gauge cluster - unless the installer has really long pretzel arms....

·
13,707 Posts
the vin had to be put on in thr trim dept. was put on berfore the dash pad,to hide the rivets, then the glass then to water test then the rest of the trim vins were put on at fisher body plant
The pictures below show the dash top VIN plate installation that began with 3rd generation cars. Fisher Body had already painted the interior sheet metal and installed the glass before delivery of the bodies to Chevrolet. The VIN plate was installed at Chevrolet by Chevrolet Trim Operations. The diagram appears to show the bracket/plate on top of the dash, but it actually was fitted and riveted from below with the number plate coming up through a slot already formed in the dash sheet metal. The bracket was fabricated so the exposed back of the rivets would be covered by the dash pad.

In the story of Fisher Body/Chevrolet operations at the Norwood, Ohio, plant, it outlines the production sequence. Fisher Body stamped and installed the cowl (trim) tags. Chevrolet assigned VINs and stamped hidden VINs shortly after delivery of the bodies from Fisher. Later the actual VIN plate was installed by Chevrolet Trim Operations as outlined above. Chevrolet stamped the partial VINs on the engine and transmission, usually before the installation of the front end sheet metal. As usual, different plants did things in different ways and these production sequences were known to vary.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Thanks , Bob

makes since ... :yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts