Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my car for over 20 years and bought it from the original owner. I have never been concerned with the VIN because it was a six cylinder car and was never gonna be worth a bunch of money for being rare. After reading a few other posts regarding VIN numbers I decided to look at mine closer. I always thought the 11637 on the fire wall distinguished it as a 6 cylinder car. Ive come to understand that isnt the case. What is weird to me is the firewall plate doesnt match the plate inside the door. The plate on the door is 11537 which indicates a 6 cylinder car.

Not that it matters to me but now Im curious. Shouldnt both be either 11537 or 11637?

·
13,991 Posts
For some strange reason most of the 65-67 cowl tags put on by Fisher Body early in a car's build all indicate a V/8, whether it is or not. The VIN plate on the door jamb tells the truth. 11637 is a V/8 sport coupe. 11537 is a six cylinder sport coupe. If your VIN plate on the door jamb says 11537, your car was born a six cylinder.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Even on the other Chevys (I've owned a bunch of 60s Impalas, Biscaynes and Belairs) the cowl tag indicates a V8 where the VIN shows the car should be a six cylinder. Seems to me the bodies were tagged "universally as v8s" when it came to what motor was going to be dropped in on the assembly line.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I live in Cincinnati not too far from where the Norwood plant was. Ive heard enough stories about the goings on there that nothing would surprise me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts