Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my VIN says I have a 63 but the title shows 62. The VIN on the title matches the car. I'm guessing the VIN is correct but is there a way to be sure? Also is this common?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds better than my issue. My 63 is missing a vin tag and a title. It that too much of an issue to try to get a title?

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,003 Posts
Sounds better than my issue. My 63 is missing a vin tag and a title. It that too much of an issue to try to get a title?
I think that varies from state to state. My advice would be not to dump a lot of time and money into it until you have a title in hand.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,003 Posts
So my VIN says I have a 63 but the title shows 62. The VIN on the title matches the car. I'm guessing the VIN is correct but is there a way to be sure? Also is this common?

Thanks
Just a guess I would think the VIN is correct with a typo on the title.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
i had a issue like that years age with a incorrect vin number on my title. the car was imported from germany an the mistake was made when i first registered it with the sec. of state in michigan. i called the state police to prove the correct numbers. they came to the house an made a picture of a hidden vin nr an with a signed statement all was corrected at the sec. of state.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,637 Posts
I seem to remember something about some states that put the year of purchase on the title. If it was an early 63 production car, it could have been sold at the end of 1962 which could explain your issue.

I'm no expert, I think I remember reading someone having that issue.

·
13,727 Posts

Thanks
Are all the numbers on the VIN plate and title matching, except for the year?

Is your '63 a Fall, 1962 build? If it was a new '63 registered late in the 1962 calendar year (Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec), people doing the paperwork may have mistakenly used the current calendar year instead of the car's model year. There are numerous occurrences of this having happened.

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
VIN and year not matching

You need to do a title search to see at what time some knucklehead at the DMV was typing with FAT fingers. I learned that lesson years ago when some DMV person typed an 8 in place of a B, you will be able to see when and where the mistake was made. After you get proof of when the mistake was made you will have to pay the Highway Patrol a visit, Good Luck! Always Check Every Character when applying for a title, and take a picture of both sides of the title before surrendering it to the DMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts