Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

15,307 Posts
Yes it is he has no idea it’s the wrong vin all he did was check the vin to the tittle when he purchased it he’s unaware of the vin issue
Unfortunately, this is not unusual. Frequently occurs when someone buys a classic car on a whim without knowledge of model types, numbers, etc.
VIN matches title, DMV goes smoothly (unless a stolen is involved) and owner drives the car for years. Big problem usually comes at sale time when
a knowledgeable person comes to look at the car and discovers the discrepancy.

Bob

· Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,697 Posts
Yes it is he has no idea it’s the wrong vin all he did was check the vin to the tittle when he purchased it he’s unaware of the vin issue
I would bet = he does now ; could be why it's up for sell . Pass it along to some other person ; before "this issue grows" . . . . 'buyer beware' .

AND , This IS Why SNS is so good (for me) ; good 'honest questions & good honest answers' .

Thanks , buccflyer and Bob , (for the catch on the "rear window" ).

I would not even know that - - and, I LIKE All 65 GM / Chevy style cars very much. Like, in the 1st post & picture ; it didn't look 65 , too me (even from that side shot) .

Thanks guys . . (y)

jim

Reactions: Stroker Ace Ventura

· Premium Member
261 Posts
I caught this a few years back from a 65 Nova SS for sale on Ebay. I'm assuming it was the transitional Nova/ VIN from round to rosette rivets.
Later VIN would be rosette and earlier VIN would be round.
My late 65 has rosette.

Attachments

· Registered
4,692 Posts
Welcome to the site..

There is a VIN stamped on the driver side cowl flange. It would be interesting to know what that number looks like.. Looks like a pretty cool car.. Who knows what could have happened in all the years since 1965.. Maybe it was a race car or someone had several of these cars over the years.. I don’t know anyone like that here..😜
White Automotive tire Hood Sleeve Motor vehicle
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you to everyone that commented on this and for the info I let the owner know what the issues were and he was quite sad. it’s a solid car nor rust doesn’t look like it’s been wrecked too bad at any point in time. He’s owned it for 13 years and wanted to trade me for my 68 impala, my dad has a 67 post nova
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant
Again thanks for all the help car guys are awsome 👍😎

· Premium Member
532 Posts
Welcome to the site..

There is a VIN stamped on the driver side cowl flange. It would be interesting to know what that number looks like.. Looks like a pretty cool car.. Who knows what could have happened in all the years since 1965.. Maybe it was a race car or someone had several of these cars over the years.. I don’t know anyone like that here..😜 View attachment 444451 View attachment 444448

· Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
1,038 Posts
Looks like a cool car and ultimately...isn't that what it's all about?

In the year or so that I've been part of the Nova family, I've seen many posts about SS, SS-clones, Yenkos, stuff being misrepresented. I guess the good news is that every year that goes by, Novas become more rare and less common. Some are worth more than others...but they are all cool.

15,307 Posts
Looks like a cool car and ultimately...isn't that what it's all about?
Only if it has a VIN that matches the car. Cool disappears quickly if an owner discovers his car is titled under a VIN from another vehicle. Almost impossible to sell
unless it gets sorted out, and that can be a nightmare with a result that might include losing your car. Nothing cool about this situation.

Bob

· Premium Member
6,572 Posts
It looked to me like the pictures of the VIN and cowl tag might not even be from the car in the picture. If you notice the pics are real close-up so you can't tell what car they came from. The color looks funny. Could be a different car altogether which would mean the seller has to be a total fraud (which he probably is). I find it hard to believe that someone could own a car like this and be totally-clueless about not only the VIN & cowl tags, but also the fact that it isn't even the correct year or model car. That's why earlier I said who cares about rosette rivets? The car has far-worse and more obvious irregularities than the rivets. I'd turn the guy into the police if he tried to sell that car to me.

· Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
2,000 Posts
I downloaded the first photo and enlarged it. Looking from the side, it looks like it has the '65 eyebrow molding installed but definitely not a '65.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts