Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VIN # on the registration is different from from the tag on the Firewall. Has anyone sen this before? I see some threads that state this could happen. The registration shows a straight 6 but the firewall tag shows a V8 ?? The car has a 230 l6 in it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The cowl tag should have a different number on it. The actual vin number is on the door. The number you see on the cowl tag is the line number. V8 was stamped on alot of cars that got the 6 cylinder, that is common.

·
14,155 Posts
The cowl tags were punched before an engine type or VIN was assigned to the vehicle. The cowl tags all show V/8 whether they were or not. As mentioned above, the VIN is on the driver door jamb plate. It tells the truth about whether the car is a six or V/8. There is no VIN on the cowl tag.

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vin #

Thanks, everyone for the clarification on the cowl tag.

Just trying to put her back to original specs. The Tag shows a T-T for the paint. As I understand the information this means it was saddlewood tan outside and maybe fawn inside ?

The car is green right now as purchased, but the color under the green is a gold color. The door panels are a tan with a darker brown stripe, and the seat are green. I do not see this door panel available from anybody, only solid color panels.

·
14,155 Posts
Thanks, everyone for the clarification on the cowl tag.

Just trying to put her back to original specs. The Tag shows a T-T for the paint. As I understand the information this means it was saddlewood tan outside and maybe fawn inside ?

The car is green right now as purchased, but the color under the green is a gold color. The door panels are a tan with a darker brown stripe, and the seat are green. I do not see this door panel available from anybody, only solid color panels.
The TT means the lower body was Sandalwood Tan and so was the top. If your car had been a factory two tone with a white top, the paint code would be TC to indicate an Ermine White top.

In sedans, the only interior color with Sandalwood Tan was Fawn. That would include the door panels , seats, etc. Is your sedan a 4 door? Chevy II 100 series or Nova 400? Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Vin #

Thanks for the updated information. I have a Chevy II 100 2 door sedan. Here is a picture of her when I brought her home in Dec 2011.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Looks like a great start with zero rust. You California guys are so fortunate to be able to pick something like that up. Not so here in the Midwest.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Great looking car.... I would just wash it and wouldnt paint that :yes:

Keep it the way it is....with upgrades of course....:D

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have a 65 SS that had -(has) 327 on the fenders & had paint where the car was painted years ago & when he bought the car years ago the car had the V-8 Rad.,spacer, & V-8 mounts the cowl tag saids 18 but the vin has 17
I say GM didn't know what motor was going in what car. Whats U say ?

. Later Larry Mc

·
14,155 Posts
I have a 65 SS that had -(has) 327 on the fenders & had paint where the car was painted years ago & when he bought the car years ago the car had the V-8 Rad.,spacer, & V-8 mounts the cowl tag saids 18 but the vin has 17
I say GM didn't know what motor was going in what car. Whats U say ?
Later Larry Mc
I say the VIN tells the truth and the car was born a six cylinder. By the time the VIN was assigned, the type of motor had been decided. A lot can happen to a car over almost 50 years. At some the point, the six was dumped and a V/8 installed.

Bob

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I say the VIN tells the truth and the car was born a six cylinder. By the time the VIN was assigned, the type of motor had been decided. A lot can happen to a car over almost 50 years. At some the point, the six was dumped and a V/8 installed.

Bob
So I f & when the car is sold . Your saying tell them the vin, says 17 & thats 6 cyl & the cowl says 18 & thats V 8 & the Vin is right. Now the cowl also says its a 4 speed car .Did they make a 6 cyl with a 4 speed ?

. Later Larry Mc

·
14,155 Posts
So I f & when the car is sold . Your saying tell them the vin, says 17 & thats 6 cyl & the cowl says 18 & thats V 8 & the Vin is right. Now the cowl also says its a 4 speed car .Did they make a 6 cyl with a 4 speed ?
Later Larry Mc
No 4 speed six cylinders! Can you post the first 5 numbers of the VIN and the cowl tag info that says it's a 4 speed?

Bob

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Later Larry Mc

No 4 speed six cylinders! Can you post the first 5 numbers of the VIN and the cowl tag info that says it's a 4 speed?

Bob

,,,,The fist 5 numbers,,,are 11737 & the cowl tag 2nd group LPS
L- 4 speed
P-Push Buttom Radio
S-rear ant.

Is this 1 for the Books HA

....................Later Larry Mc

·
14,155 Posts
The fist 5 numbers,,,are 11737 & the cowl tag 2nd group LPS

L- 4 speed
P-Push Buttom Radio
S-rear ant.

Is this 1 for the Books HA
Later Larry Mc
Well, it's certainly interesting, Larry. VIN is definitely a six cylinder SS and the cowl tag has a 4 speed coded. They never came with that combo unless something got switched up at the factory. Any chance the cowl tag has been swapped at some point? Does the build plant code match on both the VIN and cowl tags? Then again, maybe it's just one of those cars that escaped the factory as a 'one of.'

Bob

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
You might want to check that hidden vin number on driver's side cowl edge & make sure it matches your vin number. Looks like maybe one of the two tags may have been changed at some time. Is the 4-speed console & floor hump still there? Who knows, maybe somebody did somehow manage to get a 4-speed behind a 6 cylinder from the factory.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
66marinabluess You might want to check that hidden vin number on driver's side cowl edge & make sure it matches your vin number. Looks like maybe one of the two tags may have been changed at some time. Is the 4-speed console & floor hump still there? Who knows, maybe somebody did somehow manage to get a 4-speed behind a 6 cylinder from the factory.

Where is this hidden tag ???? When I bought the car it didn't have a console But the floor hump is there Any O way, it is what it is Now I also have a 1965 SS that is a 11837 car that in the 2nd group has P-S & thats all ,was this car sold without a trans

. Later Larry Mc

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
66marinabluess You might want to check that hidden vin number on driver's side cowl edge & make sure it matches your vin number. Looks like maybe one of the two tags may have been changed at some time. Is the 4-speed console & floor hump still there? Who knows, maybe somebody did somehow manage to get a 4-speed behind a 6 cylinder from the factory.

Where is this hidden tag ???? When I bought the car it didn't have a console But the floor hump is there Any O way, it is what it is Now I also have a 1965 SS that is a 11837 car that in the 2nd group has P-S & thats all ,was this car sold without a trans

. Later Larry Mc
Well it's not a tag,just a partial vin number. You will have to remove the driver's side fender & the outer cowl to fender seal to see it. It's on the outer edge of the cowl. Trim tags were sometimes stamped wrong. Yours could be one of those with errors.

·
14,155 Posts
Now I also have a 1965 SS that is a 11837 car that in the 2nd group has P-S & thats all ,was this car sold without a trans. Later Larry Mc
If the car came with a 3 speed manual on the column it will not show on the cowl tag. It was the standard no extra cost unit that came in all Chevy IIs unless an optional PG or 4 speed was ordered. The PG and 4 speed will be cowl tag coded because, to be fitted, they required Fisher Body modifications. Only options requiring actions by Fisher Body are coded on the cowl tag.

Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts