Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it :yes:

05D
STYLE 63-0435 BODY NW 17001
TRIM 4-766 PAINT 938-24
ACC E P

First line: 4th week of May. Would this be May of 1962 or May of 1963?

Second line: Sequence 17001. Nova Resource says the sequence should start at 100001, so I would think the 17001st car should read 117001. Why the difference?

Third line: 4-766 and 938-24. I understand this means fawn vinyl interior and Adobe Beige exterior, but what does the preceding 4- mean for the trim and the -24 mean for the paint?

Fourth line: P means push button radio, but the odd thing is my car has the antenna on the driver's side of the cowl rather than the passenger side. Any reason for this? Did they drill them on whichever side they felt like?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I looked through that site last night but it doesn't explain the other trim and paint numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Fourth line: P means push button radio, but the odd thing is my car has the antenna on the driver's side of the cowl rather than the passenger side. Any reason for this? Did they drill them on whichever side they felt like?[/QUOTE]

Car may have been ordered without a radio and it was added later by a shop/owner who got his right mixed up facing the car ....:eek:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think someone screwed up for sure, but if the P is on the cowl tag, that should mean someone at the factory doesn't know their left from their right, right? :D

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
My 63' had the antenna mounted in the passenger rear quarter panel location. It looked stock. When we stripped the car for paint it was discovered the original factory hole on the passenger side cowl had been welded up and painted over (there is also no "S" on the cowl tag). It was a decent job and could not be visually detected. Over the last almost 50 years someone could have easily moved the antenna to a different location and filled the correct one. Run a magnet over where the antenna should be, you may find a mound of bondo...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checked with a magnet and by looking up behind the passenger kick panel (and feeling around up in there)...no hole! :confused:

·
13,804 Posts
If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it :yes:

05D
STYLE 63-0435 BODY NW 17001
TRIM 4-766 PAINT 938-24
ACC E P

First line: 4th week of May. Would this be May of 1962 or May of 1963?
This would be May, 1963. In May, 1962 they were still building 1962 models.

Second line: Sequence 17001. Nova Resource says the sequence should start at 100001, so I would think the 17001st car should read 117001. Why the difference?
I'm not sure Novaresource is correct. As far as I know, build sequence numbers can be 4-6 digits. VINs started at 100001.

The numbers next to trim and paint on the third line are internal plant codes. Trim numbers could be type of seat, seat belts or ? Paint could be wheel color or ? Very few of these numbers have been decoded because they differed from plant to plant.

Your radio antenna location is a bit of a mystery. The factory radios came with the antenna on the right side. Not sure about wagons, but optional passenger car antennas could be located on the right rear. It's entirely possible a note was put on the dealer order to the factory 'antenna on left front' and it was done. These kind of things happened in the 60's. Another possibility is that it was moved. Many people thought antennas on the curb side were vandal attractions. Thats why so many dealer installs were left side.

Bob

·
Registered
546 Posts
I remember running the numbers on the cowl tag before for the wagon. I'll try to find my thread. Skymir(sp) added it to his database as well.

The antenna on the drivers side I was told by whom I forget but it was supposed to be so people walking on the sidewalk wouldn't rip them off....I'll find that info as well.

First one I've seen on a drivers side as well. :yes:

·
13,804 Posts
Many people thought antennas on the curb side were vandal attractions. Thats why so many dealer installs were left side.
Bob
The antenna on the drivers side I was told by whom I forget but it was supposed to be so people walking on the sidewalk wouldn't rip them off....I'll find that info as well.
I think we're saying the same thing:)

Bob

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I was going to fill in the antenna hole, but now I think I will be leaving it alone and find a nice antenna to put back on. It's interesting now that I take a closer look. Up until now I had assumed a dealer put the radio in and drilled for the antenna.

·
Registered
35 Posts
title question

Hey guys I hope its ok that I ask this here... was following the decoding ya'll were doing on that 63 Wagon, I did mine shortly after I bought it and was amazed what all it told.
My question though is about my title, it indicates on style that my wagon was a 2D?? We've checked and do not see any tampering with the vin tag or cowl tag. Can anyone answer this for me? In NC if you buy a vehicle out of state from an a individual you are required to have it checked by the license and theft bureau within 12 mths and I want to get this cleared up before I go up there. Thanks so much:cool:

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
My feedback here is based on the assumption the "2D" code pertains to the title and not the cowl tag. It is not unusual for titles to be incorrect in the details. Personally if I do not think it will be an issue I dont bring it up :no: As long as it is nothing major it is not worth the fight with the DMV. What state did the vehicle come from? Maybe "2D" is wagon in that state.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes Southbay I was talking about on the title. It was a Tennessee title and I have re-registered it in NC but they hold the actual title until I get the license and theft inspection done. That's pretty much what I hoped, that the title info wouldn't matter, thanks for answering:cool:

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
My guess is the DMV would be the unit to flag issues with the title. It sounds like this other group is probably making sure the vehicle is not stolen and there are no outstanding fees to collect, emphasis on the latter. California used to have an extra layer of bureaucratic BS involved with registering cars from out of state, but there was a law suit regarding it and the state actually lost. Had to refund money to lots of people and remove some of the registration run around.

·
13,804 Posts
I agree with Southbay. I wouldn't worry too much about the 2D. If someone ever questions it, tell 'em it means 2 doors on each side:D. Some of these designations are pretty strange. We just bought a vehicle that would be best described as Adobe Biege. In British Columbia there is no biege color designation for the registration/title. The nearest choices are white, yellow or brown, none of which are even close to what we have. They looked at it and put down 'brown.':rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,875 Posts
I agree with Southbay. I wouldn't worry too much about the 2D. If someone ever questions it, tell 'em it means 2 doors on each side:D.......

Bob
Smooth thinking BOB !!! :rotfl: :rotfl: You sound like me at the DMV. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts