Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It's really coming together now!:yes: Was your car a bench car before? I ask because you mentioned you need tracks. I like the bench seat in my car a lot too!:yes: I would also recommend you square the subframe to the rear wheels, there is plenty of adjustment room for sheet metal to the subframe. I've had mine on and off twice now.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. There is a huge thread in the "Originality" section discussing benches and buckets. Really, I had figured I'd work all that out later but recently I decided to try out a bench I bought a while ago cause I was thinking of selling it at the swap meet. (MY car came with buckets from, I think, a 67 or 69 Camaro). I agree with you and plan to keep the bench. I really like it. I just set it in there but nothing lines up.

I need to research that thread I mentioned above and see what needs to be done to get this seat to install. I plan on measuring my existing (4) per side studs and see what was in there originally. Then I will inspect the underside of my bench, get dimensions and see what needs to be done. I have some work ahead of me. Basically bought the bench but never put it in till last week. Its a keeper. I'll be inquiring soon as to how to go about installing it. Also, compared to my buckets, it sits pretty high. Also noticed it didn't leave much room for my V-Matic shifter. Gonna be busting some knuckles.

I need to re-investigate my id numbers. I recall determining it had deluxe interior but don't remember any specifics on bench vs. buckets. It's something I'll be checking out.

Regarding the subframe alignment....any tips or tricks other than what you mentioned? So square to the rear wheels means maybe I take the rear frame and measure to a diagonal reference and vice versa for the other side? Will also be checking wheel base dimensions on both sides for additional comparisons.

I checked 2-3 diagonals from front frame end to body bolt location and also checked the rear of the frame to a suspension reference at the rear. Figure i'll get it close for government work but not too confident I'll get it as exact as it can be. Guess I'll find out soon enough when the front metal goes on.

13k posts taz? wow! you like looking at computer screens?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The bench seats use bolt instead of studs like the buckets, there are welded nuts in the floor, I can give you pics or measurements if you like.

With the rear end in you can run a long string to make sure the rear wheels are parallel to the body, you can get a bit of movement with the front spring pockets.
The subframe, I lined up as per the dowels and used my buddies alignment rack to set everything up square. The first suggestion I got from him was to pic 2 exact same points on either side the frame and square it to the rear end, then bolt up the all the sheet metal. The last thing to do is align the front end with everything on the so it will be at the correct ride height.

The 13K is because of these cool cars and projects like yours!:yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts